Chapter 1

Do you know what it's like to be caught in the grip of unrequited love? To care deeply for someone who will never feel the same way, because that someone happens to be your best friend's boyfriend? That's the tangled web I'm stuck in right now.

"Andy! You're going to be late! Hurry up!" My mum's voice floated up the stairs, pulling me out of my thoughts. I quickly stuffed the last of my things into my backpack, adjusted my lenses in the mirror, and trudged downstairs. Without a word, I stepped outside where my mum was already waiting in her sleek black Audi, looking as relaxed as ever.

I slid into the car, the door closing with a soft thud. My mum didn't say a word as we pulled out of the driveway, the silence between us only broken by the gentle hum of the engine. The familiar route to school blurred by, my mind too tangled in thoughts to notice the world outside the window.

When we finally arrived, I leaned over to give her the usual peck on the cheek. "See you later, Mum," I murmured, slipping out of the car. She gave me a small, knowing smile, but still said nothing as she watched me go.

I waved goodbye, though she was already pulling away, and turned towards the school. My feet dragged a little as I walked, the weight of my emotions making the distance to the entrance feel longer than usual. The towering halls loomed ahead, a maze of classrooms and corridors that I'd navigated a thousand times before, but today they felt different-heavier somehow, like they knew the secret I was carrying.

As I stepped inside, the familiar sounds of chattering students and slamming lockers surrounded me, but my thoughts were still miles away, tangled up with feelings I couldn't quite untangle.

"Down to earth, Andy!" A soft voice broke through the haze of my thoughts. I blinked, snapping back to reality, and turned to find Sia Tyler smiling beside me.

Sia-my best friend and the girl every guy dreams of. Her golden curls cascaded in wild waves around her heart-shaped face, framing features that could stop anyone in their tracks. Her pouty lips curved into a smile, while her smoldering bluish-gray eyes seemed to stare at me for an answer. And as if her face weren't enough, her 5'8" frame carried the kind of hourglass figure that made heads turn wherever she went.

But don't get me wrong-there's no jealousy in my admiration. If anything, I'm in awe of her, not just because of her undeniable beauty, but because Sia is as lovely on the inside as she is on the outside. She radiates kindness and warmth, qualities that only enhance her outward perfection.

Still, standing next to her often feels like living in someone else's shadow. It's not that I resent her, far from it. But sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to shine just a little brighter, to not always be compared to the girl who has it all.

"What the hell were you thinking about?" Sia asked, her voice tinged with concern as she nudged me. "I've been waving at you down the hall, but you looked like you were a million miles away. Are you okay?"

I forced a smile and sighed softly. "Yeah, Si, I'm fine. Just a little worried about what senior year has in store for us." My voice trailed off as I tried to push my real thoughts aside. Quickly, I shifted the focus away from myself. "So, what's on your schedule this year?" I asked, hoping to steer the conversation to safer ground.

Sia brightened at the change in topic. "I've got calculus, history, applied arts, and P.E.," she rattled off effortlessly, her eyes gleaming with excitement.

I nodded, offering a smile as I listened to her list off her classes. "Sounds like you've got a packed schedule," I replied, keeping my tone light. It was easier this way, focusing on the simple exchange between us, rather than the complicated emotions I was trying to keep at bay.

As we continued down the bustling hallway, Sia and I fell into an easy stride, weaving through the crowd of students. The familiar chatter and clang of lockers surrounded us, but our conversation kept the noise at bay.

“So, what’s on your schedule, Andy?” Sia asked, glancing at me with curiosity.

I pulled out my crumpled schedule and skimmed the list. “Let’s see… I’ve got English, calculus—guess we’ll be suffering through that together—then chemistry, and, oh, history with Mr. Lawson.”

“Nice! At least we’ll have calculus and history together,” Sia said with a grin. “Misery loves company, right?”

I laughed. “Absolutely. We’ll need all the help we can get with calculus.”

As we approached the fork in the hallway where we would part ways, Sia playfully bumped her shoulder against mine. “Guess this is where we split up. I’ve got applied arts next, and you…?”

“English,” I replied, waving my schedule. “With Mrs. Harper. Should be interesting.”

“Good luck with that!” she called over her shoulder as she started to head in the opposite direction.

“You too!” I waved, watching her disappear around the corner, her blonde curls bouncing with each step.

I took a deep breath, feeling a mix of anticipation and apprehension. It was the start of senior year, and while I was relieved to have a few classes with Sia, I couldn’t shake the feeling that this year was going to challenge me in more ways than just academically.

Turning toward my first class, I steeled myself for whatever lay ahead, knowing that, for better or worse, this was the beginning of the end of our high school journey.