Chapter 201

Lucas grinned as he heard Gustave muttering sleepily in French as his slippers dragged their tired owner across the kitchen. Grace was hiding her mouth in his shoulder so she wouldn’t burst into laughter.

“Qu’est-ce que ça sent ?” (“What is that smell?”), Gustave’s sleepy voice was heard and Lucas felt Grace shaking from laughter, hiding even further into his shoulder. He was in his own hell trying not to burst into laughter.

The moment of silence and then…

“Pas encore !!!” (“Not again!!!!”), Gustave moaned and groaned “Combien de fois dois-je lui dire de ne pas entrer dans la cuisine ! Lucas, tu es peut-être mon frère, mais ça suffit ! Pourquoi tu ne suis pas l’exemple de ta charmante épouse et fais preuve de respect au lieu de te ruer comme un taureau dans ma cuisine comme si c’était Pampelune et non l’endroit où je m’assure que tu restes en bonne santé?!” (“How many times do I have to tell him not to enter the kitchen! Lucas, you may be my brother, but enough is enough! Why don’t you follow the example of your lovely wife and show some respect instead of storming like a bull in my kitchen like this is Pamplona and not the place where I make sure that you stay healthy?!”)

Lucas’ eyes went wide open in surprise at hearing this brand new accusation while his “innocent” wife gripped his pajamas top, crying from laughter. 

Gustave continued his rambling:

“Si tu n'étais pas marié, je ferais mes valises et partirais, mais maintenant je dois rester et partager mes connaissances parce que ta charmante épouse veut apprendre…” (“If you weren't married I would pack up and leave, but now I have to stay and share my knowledge because your lovely wife wants to learn…”), his voice drifted away as he saw two plates and his eyes widened in shock “Oh, non…non, non, non, non, NON!” (“Oh, no…no, no, no, no, NO!”)

Grace looked up, her lips twitching and her eyes widening as she realized what the fuss was about.

“Il a un complice ! Oh, mon Dieu ! Je dois le dire à Grace!” (“He has a complice! Oh, my God! I have to tell Grace!”), and with those words Gustave stormed out from the kitchen, leaving the plates and frying pan untouched.

Grace turned to look at Lucas in disbelief.

“He’s not going to go and knock on our doors to wake me up, is he?”, she asked through giggles.

Lucas shrugged, acting nonchalant.

“Why would I worry? I am the criminal here”, he quipped and both of them burst to laughter.

They slowly crawled from under the table and finished their meal.

“I think it would be wise if I go first”, whispered Grace “I will distract Gustave so you can head back into our bedroom in case he is really lurking in the hallway.”

Lucas stifled a laugh.

“Thank you, sweetheart. It’s the least you can do for making me be the main culprit!”, he quipped, making Grace slightly snort at that and playfully slap his upper arm before she started to turn around to leave the kitchen. 

But, before she could make one step Lucas stopped her by gently grabbing her forearm and pulling her closer to himself.

“Leaving without a goodbye, Mrs. Bouchard?”, he inched closer to her and added quietly “That’s not very sporting.”

Grace smiled as she hovered her lips close to his.

“My apologies, dearest Governor”, she whispered before kissing his warm lips.

After a few moments they pulled away and Grace said, her eyes sparkling:

“Bring some nougat chocolate on your way back”, she winked and turning around, she left the kitchen.