The Crash

The sun was setting over Willow Creek, casting long, golden shadows across the quiet streets. It was the kind of summer evening that felt endless, the air heavy with the scent of warm asphalt and freshly cut grass. Sixteen-year-old Alex Harper drummed his fingers on the steering wheel of his old sedan, glancing at the time on the dashboard. He was late, as usual. TK would be waiting at the Bluebird Diner, their usual hangout since middle school, and Alex knew he'd never hear the end of it.

As he sped down the familiar roads, the memories of the past summer flickered through his mind. The lazy afternoons by the river, the late-night bonfires, and the countless hours spent with TK, his best friend since kindergarten. Life was simple, predictable even, and Alex liked it that way.

But in the back of his mind, there was always the nagging feeling that things were about to change. Senior year was approaching fast, and with it, the pressures of college applications, the inevitable separation from friends, and the looming uncertainties of adulthood. Alex didn't know if he was ready for any of it, but for now, he was content to push those thoughts aside and focus on the moment.

He turned a corner, the old abandoned warehouse on the edge of town coming into view. It had always been a landmark for him, a reminder that home was just a few minutes away. But tonight, something felt different. The warehouse, usually just a blur in his peripheral vision, seemed to loom larger, almost ominous.

A sudden sense of dread washed over Alex, and he shook his head, trying to dismiss it. He was just tired, that was all. He reached for the radio, hoping to drown out his thoughts with some music, but before he could turn the dial, a flash of bright headlights blinded him.

Time seemed to slow down as the world around him dissolved into chaos. The sound of screeching tires, the sharp crunch of metal, and then—nothing.

***

When Alex opened his eyes, the first thing he noticed was the blinding white light. His head throbbed, and every muscle in his body ached. He tried to move, but his limbs felt heavy, unresponsive. Panic surged through him as he struggled to remember what had happened.

The car. The crash. And then...darkness.

"Alex?" A voice broke through the fog in his mind, soft and tentative. It was unfamiliar, and that alone was enough to send a jolt of fear through him. He tried to speak, but his throat was dry, his voice barely a whisper.

"Where am I?" he finally managed to croak.

The voice responded, calm and reassuring. "You're in the hospital. You were in an accident, but you're going to be okay."

The words should have been comforting, but something about them felt off. There was a strange tightness in his chest, a sensation that didn't feel like his own. He tried to open his mouth again, to ask more questions, but a wave of exhaustion pulled him back into unconsciousness.

***

The next time Alex woke up, the light was softer, and the room around him began to take shape. He was in a hospital bed, surrounded by machines that beeped rhythmically. The walls were a sterile white, and a small window let in a sliver of sunlight.

He blinked slowly, trying to shake off the lingering grogginess. His body still felt strange, foreign almost. There was a heaviness in his chest that he couldn't explain, and his skin tingled uncomfortably.

"Good morning, Ally," a nurse greeted him as she walked into the room, her smile kind but cautious.

"Ally?" The name hung in the air, foreign and wrong. His voice sounded different too—higher, softer. Panic started to rise in his throat as he looked down at his hands, smaller and more delicate than he remembered.