The Oil Lamp

"Ding! Ding! Ding! Correct!" the cheerful voice crackled through the speaker again, this time with a playful giggle. "You've officially entered our exclusive hidden tournament! A spooky little contest for the brave of heart! Most people couldn't even make it past the maze and staff had to rescue them before they called GCPD. Guess they weren't ready for all the... fun." Her tone dripped with mischief. "But you—oh, you're special. First ones to get this far in ages!"

Y/n smirked, clearly entertained. "I gotta say, the décor's killer. Love the blood—how'd you make it look so... realistic?"

"Oh, honey, it's all about the SFX magic," the voice purred, obviously delighted. "Your makeup, though! Top-tier. Who did it?"

"My lovely assistant," Y/n said, tossing in a dramatic flair.

"Hehe! Seriously though, I need her number later."

"She's straight, sorry."

The voice sighed, exaggerated and playful. "Aww, what a shame. Oh well—OLIVIA, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE TALKING TO THEM LIKE THAT!" Suddenly, another voice shouted in the background, and there was a scramble before the speaker blared again: "Uh—have a great time! And good luck!" Click. The line went dead.

Y/n chuckled; her amusement contagious. "That was... weirdly charming."

The group stood for a moment, processing, before Eve clapped her hands together. "Alright! We've officially got a game to win."

James stretched dramatically. "We're the first ones to make it this far, which means..."

"We have time to actually win this thing." Y/n finished the thought with a sly grin. She could feel the competitive energy bubbling within her.

"Then let's get to work. We find the key; we win the prize." Eve's eyes gleamed with determination.

"Who knew a haunted house would turn into a scavenger hunt?" Sky mused, tapping her chin. "Alright, clues it is. Let's split up and see what we can find."

Everyone agreed, excitement buzzing in the air. They scattered through the dimly lit halls, each person determined to outdo the others.

Damian lingered for a moment, watching as Y/n strode off confidently. A small pang of disappointment tugged at him—he had secretly hoped they'd pair up. He had this idea, a vague desire to impress her with his skills, maybe show her a side she hadn't seen before. But he kept that to himself. He wasn't going to act childish, not here, not now. Still, the feeling lingered.

"Focus," he muttered to himself as he headed off on his own, weaving through the eerily quiet corridors.

The rooms were packed with clues—old letters, peculiar paintings, cryptic symbols scrawled on the walls. Each one more bizarre than the last. The thrill of the chase had taken hold, and yet there was something about the playful edge of the game that made it fun rather than terrifying.

In one room, Y/n paused, running her fingers over an antique dresser. "This place is insane," she whispered, half to herself. "It's like a movie set." She rifled through drawers, looking for anything that could be a hint.

Suddenly, the speaker crackled to life again. "Psst... Y/n... How's it going in there?" It was the same playful voice, now almost conspiratorial.

Y/n grinned. "Oh, you know, just tearing this haunted house apart. You?"

The voice giggled. "Love it! Keep at it, champ. I've got my eye on you. Don't forget—there's more to the key than just finding it. Think."

Y/n's brow furrowed. "More than finding it, huh? Cryptic, much?"