Intro

The sound of breaking glass snapped me out of my thoughts. My hands were still shaking as I stared at the shattered wine glass on the floor. It wasn’t that I couldn’t focus—I was painfully aware of everything around me—but today felt different. The silence in our house was heavy, almost suffocating, and the quiet in my mind was even worse.

Mom had been nervous all afternoon, which was rare for her. It was hard to believe that the same woman who had been so strong during Dad’s funeral was now pacing around the house like an excited teenager. The reason? Her best friend from childhood, Eleanor, was coming over today. They hadn’t seen each other in years, but when Mom talked about the visit, I noticed a sparkle in her eyes that I’d never seen before.

“I’m so sorry, honey,” Mom said softly as she bent down to pick up the pieces of glass. “I’m just a little… excited.”

“It’s okay, Mom,” I replied, helping her with the shards. “It’s just a glass.”

She smiled at me, but I could see the tension in her eyes. Eleanor must have meant a lot to her in the past. Something inside me was worried about what this woman might bring into our lives.

A shiver ran down my spine when the doorbell rang. Mom quickly wiped her hands on her apron and almost ran to the door. I stayed behind in the kitchen, my heart suddenly pounding in my chest. I didn’t know what to expect, but when I heard her voice—low, melodic, almost hypnotic—I knew my life would never be the same.

“Jade, aren’t you coming to say hello?” Mom called from the hallway, her voice sounding higher than usual, as if she had to remind herself to breathe.

I took a deep breath and stepped into the hall. When I saw her, I couldn’t look away. Eleanor was nothing like I imagined. She was elegant, almost otherworldly, with dark red hair that fell in waves over her shoulders and green eyes that seemed to look right through me. She looked more like a movie star than my mom’s best friend.

“Jade, right?” she asked with a smile that was warm and mysterious at the same time.

“Yes,” I managed to say, my voice rough. “Nice to meet you.”

She stepped forward and took my hand. Her grip was firm, confident. “Your mother has told me so much about you. I’ve been looking forward to meeting you.”

Something in her gaze made me uncomfortable, but at the same time, I couldn’t tear my eyes away. There was a secret in her smile, something she wasn’t saying but that I could feel. This was no ordinary woman. And though I couldn’t explain it, I knew her coming into my life would change everything.

As I looked at my mom, who was glowing with happiness, I wondered if she knew what she had brought into our home. But when I looked back at Eleanor, I knew one thing for sure: this was just the beginning.