Chapter 2

Before Karasuno vs Aoba Jhosai match.

Kahori was setting up her bag in the small courtyard behind the gymnasium, away from the confusion and excitement of the teams who were still celebrating or complaining about their performance. She needed a moment of peace, away from the stares and comments. That morning had been intense, and the last meeting with Ryuchi had left her with a mixture of satisfaction and...frustration. Ryuchi had in a way awakened past memories. Kahori had decided to intervene because she was pushed by the sorrow of seeing her teammate crying, but also because she hated the way Ryuchi had behaved. Kahori had experienced this on her skin long before and, perhaps, had poured some of her resentment on Ryuchi. Sure, he had been an asshole, but Kahori shouldn't have allowed herself to act that way. Not in front of everyone.

But there was also something else, something he couldn't yet decipher. As she zipped up her bag, a familiar voice interrupted her thoughts.

"I didn't expect to find you here alone, Hori-chan," he said, emphasizing her nickname in a really...strange way. As if he wanted to taste the sound of her name for the first time, or as if he wanted to imitate the same tone of voice as Kiyoko, the only one who called her like that.

Kahori turned around, finding herself facing Oikawa Tooru, with that usual amused grin she was now beginning to recognise. She had already seen him roaming around with his confident attitude, but she didn't expect him to approach her. She knew the fame that revolved around Oikawa and all the top players on the other various teams, but she had never lingered too long to think about them... if not only from a purely sporting point of view. She had followed the volleyball matches for inspiration, but she had always been an invisible little spot in the stands.

"I don't think I gave you permission to call me that," she replied, trying to keep a firm tone of voice, but not quite managing to hide a slight curiosity.

"Oh, but why not, it's a cute nickname, don't you think?" Oikawa leaned against the wall, looking at her with a mischievous expression. "It seems you have become a small celebrity after what happened with Ryuichi."

Kahori stared at him for a moment, trying to understand what he was getting at. "What do you want, Oikawa senpai? Don't you have a match to think about?"

"The preliminaries continue this afternoon, don't you know? I was thinking of taking a break, but then I remembered this interesting girl I saw in action earlier." He moved away from the wall and took a step towards her, his gaze scanning her carefully, as if he were trying to decipher an enigma.

Kahori crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow. "If you're trying to provoke me, it won't work."

Oikawa laughed slightly, lifting his hands as if surrendering. "I wouldn't dare, Hori-chan. I just wanted to get to know you better. You certainly caught everyone's attention, and I must say you have quite a temper."

"Is this what you usually do? You go around bothering people you don't know just because they've intrigued you?" she replied, trying to maintain a detached tone, even though curiosity was beginning to make its way inside her. What did the Great King want from her?

"Bothering? What a strong word," Oikawa replied with a disarming smile. "I prefer to say that I like to meet interesting people. And you, Kahori Shimizu, are definitely interesting. Not every day you see a girl confront someone so openly."

"Your attention, huh? What luck," she mumbled ironically. She sighed, then continued: "I only did what I thought was right," she finally said, in a more serious tone.

"And you did it with style," Oikawa added, his gaze now less playful and more observant. "You know, there's something about you that reminds me of someone..."