Chapter 1

Nico

I never claimed to be a sane man.

I always tried my best to appear calm, poised, in control. Both in my business and in my personal life, it never paid to be a loose canon when dealing with dangerous criminals. In order to survive both Rome and Chicago's underworlds, I had to keep my composure, to tame my emotions and keep an unattached facade.

That all went out the window the minute I met my wife.

After the wedding, Chiara and I spent three weeks in Italy, enjoying the slow pace and each other's company as we toured around the country. Not wanting to end the honeymoon, we then spent two more weeks in Greece, followed by two more weeks in Malta. According to the marriage contract that we signed months ago, we were to take two weeks off every three months to honor Chiara's wish to travel around the world. Yet seeing her so happy, so relaxed and at ease after all she'd been through before the wedding, I decided to ignore that clause and take her anywhere she wanted for as long as she wanted. Her brother, Robbie Jr. continued to be a blessing, handling my business as he did when his sister was at the hospital and I couldn't leave her side. He would call me whenever he needed my help, and my men complied with his orders now that our alliance was official, so everything was sailing smoothly.

So I spent almost two months exploring every inch of Italy, Greece, and Malta with my wife, and exploring every inch of my wife in Italy, Greece, and Malta.

I had thought my feelings for her would level down. After her traumatic injury and the fear I felt as she lay on a hospital bed for a month, I thought I would have a better handle on things now that everything seemed to settle down. But that wasn't the case. My obsession with her only grew with every passing day, my need for her turning into carnal desire as we spent more time together. I almost didn't want to go back home, traveling around Europe with her seemed a hell of a lot more fun than arms deals and drug distribution.

Unfortunately, all good things had to come to an end, and as our plane touched down in Chicago, I heaved a troubled sigh.

“What's wrong, baby?” Chiara asked, caressing her thumb over my palm. I lifted her hand to my lips, placing light kisses on her smooth skin. Her green eyes twinkled with amusement as she watched me, already knowing what I was about to say.

“I don't want to go back. It feels like our honeymoon ended too soon.”

I was aware that I sounded like a child, pouty and whining, but I didn't care. I turned in my seat, pulling Chiara into my side and placing my head on hers. The plane was quiet, our staff busy tidying up somewhere I couldn't see. The leather seat squeaked as Chiara moved, placing one hand on my thigh and a kiss on my jaw.

“Who said our honeymoon was over?” She whispered in my ear, her teeth grazing my lobe. I shivered under her touch, and she laughed as she pulled away from me. Her hand trailed higher up my thigh, my pants growing tighter around me with every breath I took. “We're just getting started.” She winked, no doubt enjoying the effect she had on me.

I placed my hand on her neck, pulling her back in before crashing my lips onto hers. She moaned into the kiss, maneuvering herself on my lap without breaking contact. The feeling of her body on mine sent a familiar jolt of desire through my veins, her sun kissed skin feeling warm and soft under my wandering hands. Her dress rose as she grinded on me, the friction making me whimper. I was lost in her scent, drowning under her spell. She was everything I had ever wanted, everything I had never thought I could have. She had me wrapped around her finger and she knew it.

I lifted her up higher, my right hand tracing circles on her inner thigh while my left kept her firmly in place above me. I had no problem with taking her on my private jet again, her pleasure only stoking my own like a flame, but she pulled away all too soon.