The Wake Up

SooJin can hear sounds, distant muffled sounds, almost like humming or soft singing. The clanking of pots or dishes seem to rattle in a far off place. She slowly opens her eyes, feeling a sense of the warm light filling the room. She squints against the bright light from a tall window nearby and she becomes aware of her stiff limbs. She looks down and notices that she's wearing her work clothes, but she knows she isn't at work. She struggles to shift her weight and she looks around her at the long dark couch, and the empty decor. She frowns, trying to identify where she is and she looks behind her quickly hoping to recognize something about this space. Outside the window, is a view of the river and the main road full of traffic far below.

Before panic can set in, she becomes aware of the smell of warm bread, and she hears a noise in the room beyond in what must be a kitchen. At that moment, the previous night comes flooding back to her and she remembers everything. She remembers leaving the bbq restaurant and her work colleagues, and she remembers walking alone to a quiet corner in Yongsan. She remembers finding Min Yoongi in need of help, of fending off the questions of the police officer, and she remembers him referring to her as his girlfriend and then asking her to stay. He told her he felt safe with her. She smiles, comforted by the memory and she slowly stands and walks toward the window.

She's never seen a view like this. She's been this high up in a building before, her office is on a high floor, but her view from the cubicle is limited to the buildings surrounding it, caging them in. This view, the whole of the city stretches out in front of her, with the rest of the world just over the hills, and she wonders at the true size and scope of it. Everything must seem distant and far away from this vantage point. From this perch, disconnected from the city, it's almost as if nothing can touch you.

"You're awake?" His voice behind her startles her and she turns quickly to see Yoongi standing in the doorway with a full sized cup of coffee in his hand. He's wearing the same clothes she remembered him in last night, but perhaps a little more wrinkled and creased. His awkward smile is disarming.  She blushes and looks down, self conscious at having bare feet in his home. She tries to smooth her hair.

"I made you a latte, I hope you like it." He offers as he sets it on a dinning room table nearby. He watches her closely, smirking at her obvious embarrassment as if he understands, and he pauses to study her. He seems to look over every inch of her as though examining her, and it makes her blush harder under the heat of his gaze.

SooJin bows to him quickly, but can't meet his eyes, or find words to express herself. What can you say to someone who is a total stranger, after you wake up in their house? He watches her, noticing that she seems to be looking everywhere but at him.

"Come sit." He pulls out a chair at the table and pats the seat cushion. "I'll bring you something to eat." She bows again, still finding no words.
He grins and bows back to her before he disappears quickly into the kitchen.

She slowly takes a seat at the large table in front of a placemat where he positioned the latte. She looks around her, still amazed by the size of the room and the height of the ceiling. She looks down at her shirt, once crisp and ready for the office, but now wrinkled after a night on the couch and she begins to try to smooth it with her hand. Yoongi comes back through the door with two plates and he recognizes what she's doing. He sets the plate with a warmed croissant down in front of her and he takes a seat beside her with his own plate.

"I can give you a shirt, one that's not wrinkled." He offers. She bows her head, finally finding her words.

"Thank you but I think you have done enough for me," she smiles softly and he grins at her.

"It's no trouble. I have to pay you back for your help." He takes a big bite of the croissant, and then pulls the strawberry jam closer, offering some to her. She takes it and begins to spread a small amount onto the roll.