Chapter 16

Chapter 16: "It's you. In a thousand of lifetimes, in a hundred of ways, it's you. It'll always be you."

The trail to the summit of Mt. Kulis was shorter than I had expected. I didn't even break a sweat. It's really perfect for beginners like me. Wanting to feel the cool breeze more, I removed my jacket and tied it around my waist, leaving me in my sports bra, leggings, and sneakers.

"Yam, parang ang sayang mag-camping," sabi ko habang nakatingin sa mga campers.  

"Next time, we'll go camping."

Malaki ang ngiti na bumaling ako sa kanya. "Talaga? Then we should do it soon, Yam!"

He smiled and nodded. We decided to sit on the grass to enjoy the cool breeze and lovely scenery. DJ sat behind me while I rested between his thighs, leaning against him.

"The last time I went hiking was when I was in college."

"Bakit tumigil ka sa paghihiking?"

"I got busy. Studying law consumed my time. Back then, it felt like 24 hours wasn't enough to cover everything I needed to learn to pass law school." He breathed out. "Na-miss ko ito. Thank you, Yam."

"Actually, it was Kuya Drake who suggested that we go hiking. Gusto ko kase na mag-enjoy ka kaso wala akong maisip na pwede natin gawin."

Bahagya siyang yumuko para matingnan ako. "Bakit?"

I pouted. "Basta gusto ko lang na mag-enjoy ka." I didn't want to remind him of his stressors.

He gazed into my eyes with a small smile on his lips. "Basta kasama kita, masaya ako, Yam." He kissed the side of my head as he wrapped his arms around me. "I appreciate you so much."

Nakangiting hinaplos ko ang mukha niya at inabot ang labi niya para dampian ng halik. "Ang sarap naman marinig yon."

Hinigpitan niya ang yakap sa akin.

"Mr. Tuazon, the president of the firm, has been urging me to take on a high-profile case involving a politician. They've offered me partnership at the firm if I accept the case and win it."

I knew he would open up to me when he was ready; it was just a matter of time. 

His jaw clenched, shaking his head. "Ayoko. Why should I represent him when I know he's guilty of the crimes he's accused of? People like him disgust me."

"Ginigipit nila ako. So, I've decided to quit and start my own firm. That has always been the plan anyway. Mapapaaga lang." He took a deep breath. "It's going to be a big risk, Yam. It's not gonna be easy. I would have to invest my savings, time, attention, and effort."

I took a deep breath, having understood what he was trying to tell me. 

The view from Noah's Ark was stunning, especially with the sea of clouds enveloping the area—a sight we were fortunate enough to witness.

"Yam, this is so lovely!" I exclaimed, turning to glance at DJ. Just as I did, he captured a photo of me. Napangiti ako. Sunod-sunod ang pagkuha niya ng picture sa akin. "Let me take a photo of you naman."

He just shook his head; he's not fond of pictures. He only agrees to have his photo taken when he's with me. Umupo ako at pasimple siyang kinuhanan ng pictures. I'm glad to see that his face looks brighter, like a big weight has been lifted off of him.

I knew that he was not afraid of leaving Tadejo's firm, even though it is one of the largest in its industry. DJ is a risk-taker. I realized that he was silent because he was weighing his next course of action. One thing about DJ is that he doesn't dwell on problems; he immediately thinks of solutions.

"Yam?"

He hummed in response while recording a video of the sea of clouds.

"I'm proud of you."

Natigilan siya sa narinig at tumingin sa akin.

"I know from here on, it's not gonna be a walk in the park for the two of us. I am not perfect, Yam. There will be instances na magtatampo ako kapag feeling ko wala ka ng time sa akin because you have to focus on building your firm. Pero kahit dumating sa point na mahirap ng intindihin ang sitwasyon, pipiliin ko pa rin na intindihin at suportahan ka. Not only because I love you, but because I admire your principles. Alam ko na marami kang matutulungan."

I breathed out, smiling. "I just want you to know that I am proud of the person that you have become, Yam. So, whatever you do, I'll always support you every step of the way, a hundred percent."

For a moment, he just stared at me. Then, little by little, his mouth curved into a soft smile. Without words, he knelt down in front of me, cupped my cheeks, and planted a kiss on my forehead. 

"Let me guess, you've fallen more deeply for me 'no?" I said teasingly.

Nakangiting tumango siya. 

I giggled. "I knew it. You-"

"Marry me."