Chapter 6

As they stood there, watching Jungwoo play, the comfortable silence was once again broken by Jungkook. He seemed to hesitate for a moment, as if weighing his words, before he finally spoke up.

“You know, Mr. Park,” he began, then paused, shaking his head with a soft chuckle. “Actually, that sounds too formal, doesn’t it?”

Jimin glanced up at him, slightly puzzled but smiling. “I suppose it does, but I didn’t want to assume.”

Jungkook turned to face him more fully, a warm, almost shy smile on his lips. “You can call me Jungkook. ‘Mr. Jeon’ makes me feel like my father,” he said with a light laugh. “And, well, I’d like us to be on a first-name basis if that’s alright with you.”

Jimin felt a pleasant warmth spread through him at the offer. It wasn’t just a gesture of familiarity—it felt like an invitation, a small step towards bridging whatever gap had existed between them just minutes ago.

“Alright, Jungkook,” Jimin said, testing the name on his tongue and finding that it felt surprisingly natural. He then hesitated, a slight smile playing on his lips. “But only if you call me Jimin. ‘Mr. Park’ is what the students call me, after all.”

Jungkook’s smile widened, his eyes brightening at the suggestion. “Deal, Jimin,” he said, his voice softening as he spoke the name, as if savoring the sound of it.

For a moment, they simply stood there, the newfound ease between them settling into something comfortable. It felt as if a barrier had been lowered, allowing them to see each other in a more personal light.

Jungkook looked at Jimin again, a thoughtful expression crossing his features. “You know, I don’t usually have much time to get to know the people around my son,” he admitted. “But I’m glad I took the time today. It’s… nice.”

Jimin nodded, feeling the sincerity in Jungkook’s words. “It is,” he agreed. “And I’m glad you did too.”

Their eyes met, and for a brief moment, there was an unspoken understanding between them—a shared connection rooted in their care for Jungwoo, but perhaps also something more, something neither of them could quite name just yet.

Before the moment could grow too heavy, Jungwoo’s voice rang out again, calling for his dad to come look at the tower he had built. Jungkook’s face lit up, and he turned to his son with a smile. “Just a second, Jungwoo!” he called back, then glanced at Jimin.

"Actually, I was wondering… Would you be able to join us for dinner tonight? Just a simple meal, nothing fancy. I’d like to thank you for everything you’ve done for Jungwoo.”

Jimin blinked, taken aback by the sudden invitation. He opened his mouth to respond but hesitated, glancing at Jungwoo, who was looking up at him with hopeful eyes. “I… I’m not sure,” Jimin began, a hint of uncertainty in his voice. “I mean, you’re married, and I wouldn’t want to intrude or make things awkward.”

Jungkook’s smile remained soft, understanding Jimin’s hesitation. “I appreciate your concern, Jimin, but it’s just dinner. I really do want to thank you for taking such good care of my little man here.” He ruffled Jungwoo’s hair affectionately, earning a giggle from the boy. “Besides, I think it would make Jungwoo really happy.”

Jimin glanced at Jungwoo again, and the little boy’s pleading eyes made his resolve waver. He could see how much this meant to him, and it was clear that Jungkook was genuinely appreciative. Still, a part of him was cautious, aware of the complications that could arise.

Seeing Jimin’s uncertainty, Jungkook added, “I promise, it’s just a friendly gesture. No strings attached. We’ll keep it casual, maybe grab something at a nearby café?”