Intro

Author's note: This is my first time writing in 11 years. Now, being an adult and having lost ideas of creativity as you age, I wanted to jump back into my childhood fun and give storytelling a try again. Seems silly and childish but, why not?

TrapSoul, saved me at a dark time back then.

Almost a decade later from the debut album above, I am now writing a story based on the recent self-titled album Bryson Tiller (BTA) as a fun homage to a creative, versatile artist.

Let's jump into it!

-----

Bryson's POV

"It was a regular day. Like any other day being a dad, gamer, and artist. In that order.

Sometimes, I lay in bed like I am right now and marvel at how my life has changed. You never truly get over the idea of "making it" or what it took to make it."

"..alright, get up nigga!" I said out loud to myself.

This early morning the sheets felt more cozy than usual, but also the breeze from the water of the open patio made it impossible to get up from bed. But there was work to do today.

Winter in Miami was chilly, hitting the low 60s on average. I closed the patio door across the way from the bed and checked the virtual clock on the wall: 7:34 am. I was in bed yet again in my head for a couple of minutes.

My birthday was about a week ago. Still wondering if I can keep up with my birthday/New Year's resolution of morning runs to get my mind right and health maintained.

"This shit is hard." Sighing as I walked to the bathroom to freshen up to go out for a run.

---

I walked outside with a tech suit on, put on my studio Beats, and started jogging in my everyday New Balances. Made sure the gated driveway was locked beforehand and my day officially started.

I stare out to the palm trees along the path of my road as I make right out from around the gate and vibe out to some Victoria Monet's Jaguar II album. The air was a bit crisp, making my face cool and my hands a little stiff but hey, I am trying to commit to my resolution, you feel? Self-discipline is important and it's only 8 days into this lol.

It's a new year and a new age of life for me. I thank God each time, but this time there feels like a big weight of pressure to release music. It's been 4 years since my last album and the media wants to know what's next for Bryson Tiller.

"Can he achieve his last height of Trap Soul? That was 9 years ago."

"His last albums since then have not charted well, when can we get the old music back?"

"What can we expect from him in the future?"

Shit like that; the expectation can drive anyone insane. When I was younger, it was fun to make music and express myself. Now? The press, label, and social media make you a product and the only focus point is for you to deliver. Deliver consistently and successfully. Like a cow proposes to only give milk; an artist's purpose is to deliver.

The True to Self album, I had barely tried and it did flop to the mainstream. I appreciate those who rocked with it but it wasn't me, it was what was expected of me. I just pushed out music like the product I am to the world. It was a dark time personally for me, my girl, family, just everything felt horrible. I was disconnected from the very reason I did this music shit.

Anniversary album, I did give some love to, I was getting back to myself and wanted to give an ode to my Trapsoul fifth anniversary and it did okay. I was happy with it and that showed in media. But I didn't care how it was praised for only being a comeback. It was about getting back to myself and the joy of making music. I put out a mixtape and did some features and just vibed out man, it was a good time for about a year or two after the release.

Now? It feels like a rut. And this run right now across the pier is making me release all my thoughts and stresses with being a musical artist. I do not want to get back to Bryson Tiller the world wants and expects.

I want to be the Bryson I define myself as. That nigga!

With my hiatus, my confidence grew. My privacy and silence have allowed me to tap into healing my past self-image bruises and dissatisfaction with each art piece I've created that wasn't me. Streaming online also allowed me another free outlet to get back into my first love of art: video games. From GTA throwbacks, Fortnite, and Apex Legends, it was so much fun piggin out on a computer screen! Especially with my daughter being older and loving her games too, I spent time more with her and watching her grow up into her little personality. This brief period for me was reparative. I am ready to put myself back out there and release an album to show who I am, versatile.

I can do anything. Do you want blues? I can do that. Pop? Fasho. Rap? I got bars for days. The ladies love my R&B a little more but I gotta let dudes know I can't be touched with my raps either.

My point is that I want to do it all. I will show it all because I am good at what I do when I am confidently enjoying my craft. Plus with my confidence and second daughter growing up? It is a done deal.

Tiller is back hoe!!!!!!

My Apple Watch chimed confirming a 3rd mile has been reached. I don't even remember that I started running at any point. Sweating in the chill air and feeling confident from my run, I will run back and get to the studio in a bit. I got a song I want to make. Gotta show the world, that I am the dude for real!

"I AM FREE FROM EXPECTATION!" I said to the sky above. The sun said hello to me on my right as it just got over the horizon sparkling the Atlantic Ocean.

My new album will be me. It will be titled Bryson Tiller. Show y'all who I am.

Fin.

-----

I hope you guys like this mini-intro! Just to introduce the plot of the character of Bryson and know his current headspace and focus. Make some music and have fun! Life is always about treating yourself kindly with your art.

I guess that's what I am doing writing this, being myself, and having fun.

If you can, please vote and comment. Any thoughts, what you hope to see, etc. Chapters will be long reads, this is just an introduction/premise.

Thank you <3