Chapter 1

Why must I always be compared to these less than acceptable Ladies of the Fair. They are just a bunch of gossip seeking, money hungry, whims who only have their status because the husbands for which they were assigned to. It frankly makes me sick to my stomach to know that this is the society we have become. Status and power driven with no regard to the human heart.

Well, not I. I stand here prepared to break the status quo. No man will break me and have me prim and proper serving his guest as he does what he wants. No not I, Abigale Goodwin, Lady of Destruction.

That's right! I have decided to change the way society prepares women for adulthood. All I must do is refuse to swim with the fish. As I finish today's journal entry, I will indeed encourage myself to stay the course no matter what my status seeking family wants and never let a man claim me as their own.

"Abigale! Oh, Abigale come down here this instant!"

"Coming!" What could it be this time? Am I to babysit for Carlas two sons today or perhaps escort my sister Anna to see her love interest Mr. Marns, who has a temper worse than that of an alcoholic. He is Dresdens most eligible bachelor so that part of him gets overlooked. Money is security is every lady's motto.

Once I rounded the corner that led to my living room, I was greeted with a room full of women with scowls on their faces.

"Abigale, have a seat." Aunt Ida spared me no time to process the situation. I swear she had it out for me ever since my father left me the inheritance for the Gala Mansion.

"Aunt Ida, to who do I owe this lovely gathering?" I kept my stern glare in line with hers to indicate that I would not be taken advantage of in any way. I know it's respectful to honor your elders, but she is part of a new class of elders. I call it immatures.

"Well, the Ladies of Fair feels it wise to council you regarding your less-than-ideal behavior. It is most unbecoming for a woman such as yourself to parade around with out any moral conviction. You trample the men of this society under foot, rendering them useless and trying to persuade the women to not uphold our social standing rules."

"Wow, Aunt Ida, who would have thought you were the woman who lacks her own opinions. Which one of these lovely gossip lovers convinced you to do this? Was it you, Mrs. Clover or you, Mrs. Findland."

"Oh! How appalling."

"I see, it was you Mrs. Tang. Who would have thought you held so much weight in the Ladies of Fair. By the insane things I heard from your fellow club members in regard to your...less than perfect marriage of convenience, I would have thought you to be the little piggy of society."

"ABIGALE!!!"

"As much as I fancy this little intervention, I am late for my visit with Madam Loose. Lord knows I need to be honorable with my commitments, right Mrs. Sanders?"

"You little witch!" Aunt Ida spat.

"Be cautious Aunt Ida, that is not how a lady speaks. With that I bid you pigs of society farewell and happy afternoon."

The shock that was plastered on each face was quite satisfying. I found it even more comical, my aunt's reaction to being left speechless in front of all the dignitaries. Having an unruly child in the house is the ultimate disgrace any home could ever experience. Being able to accommodate my aunt's house in such a manor was wonderful. She is as fake as one lady can be and exposing her narcissistic behavior for all of them to see was just the cherry on top of a well-built cake.