The Never Was of Mialotte (TW)

What if Mia never went to the bar after Char?

"Stay at this nursery. I don't even want to be around you anymore. I feel sick " Was the last thing Marjorie said before storming off. Charlotte distraught ran out of the office and bumped into Reece. "She hates me" the words stung to say. "I'm gonna go" she said walking out the door and straight to the bar. Sitting there alone in tears drinking her lemonade Char thought back over all the years of her and Marjorie being friends. How could Marjorie have got it so wrong? Why couldn't she see the pain that Char was feeling so deeply? Questions raced in her head. Charlotte wanted nothing more than to be able to scream at the top of her Lungs the truth but no one was listening. Twirling her wedding ring Charlotte fell deeper into her mind thinking more and more about how long she had suffered in silence and how not one soul had seen the changes happening to her. Except one...
Mia.

Char thought about how Mia had come out to her after she had got her fired and spoke to her. Really spoke to her. Not getting angry or yelling but a sense of understanding. She imagined the moment she moved her ring to flirt her way into Mia's trust. She also heard the words said to her. "Moving that ring to the other finger to flirt with me was the closest you've been to being brave enough to actually taking it off". There it was the truth. Yes, that was the closest and bravest Char had felt about the ring not being on her finger but she just couldn't accept it. Taking the ring off meant it was real and she couldn't handle that. She sat there for hours alone with her thoughts until she got fed up of thinking and ordered an actual beverage. She wanted to drink until she couldn't remember why she was crying or what she had to worry about.

The kids were with their father for the night and Char could not bear going back to an empty house so drink is what she did. Staying there until the bar closed Char drunkenly stumbled out of the building and down the road. Feeling more lost than she ever had. Head spinning. She stumbled sideways into the wall next to her steadying herself with the edges of the bricks. Trying to walk again Char fell over landing on her knees, barely catching herself before hitting her head against the floor. She stayed there tears flooding down her face. Thoughts rushed through her of what she had lost the past few weeks. She had lost her partner, her best friend, her job in the nursery she loved to be in. She lost her sense of who she was. She needed to get home and away from people.

Using all her strength Charlotte got to her feet and started walking home again. A few close calls when crossing streets and nearly falling again. But she made it home. Shaking she unlocked the door and walked into the emptiness that was her home. Closing the door behind her letting the darkness swallow what little she could see of her home she collapsed to the floor crying. "Enough is enough" she thought to herself standing up and grabbing some paper and a pen.

Char sat there writing a total of 6 letters. Placing them into envelopes she checked the names written on the front.
To the father of our precious children.
To Marjorie and Reece
To Carly
To Autumn and Winter
To Sorcha and Clodagh
And the final one addressed to
Mia.

This one hit her the hardest. As she sealed each envelope and placed them on the coffee table shaking Char thought about each of those little memories that were held so close to her and screamed. Listening to the echoes through the empty halls Charlotte stood up walked to her medicine cupboard grabbed a handful and a bottle of wine and headed for her bedroom. Tears fell slowly as she took each tablet with a sip from the bottle until the wine was empty and she lay there watching the world fade away.