CHAPTER 1

About 400 years ago, humans and fae coexisted

  About 400 years ago, humans and fae coexisted. The Fae are beings of immense power, close to gods, capable of shifting into beasts-each form a reflection of their power and character. Some took the shape of mighty dragons, others as deer or fierce wolves.

     For centuries, humans worshipped the fae, they were responsible for the natural world, and for centuries, the humans obeyed them, and lived under their protection and rule. The Fae were not cruel, but their laws were absolute. In return for their wisdom and guidance, they demanded loyalty. The human kings swore oaths of faithfulness, binding their realms in a treaty that stretched back through countless generations.

     As time passed, humans grew restless. They multiplied, built great cities, and began to see themselves as masters of the world. They started to question the ancient oaths, wondering why they, with their growing strength, should bow to beings who lived apart, in a world of magic and mystery.

     However, King Aldric of the human kingdom of Thaloria saw the Fae not as gods, but as rivals. The thought of kneeling to any power other than his own became intolerable. He began to speak of breaking the ancient covenant, of freeing humanity from what he called the "harness of the Fae." After ascending to the throne, Aldric declared his kingdom's independence from the fae rules, seeking to carve out a future dictated by human will alone. He declared that Thaloria would no longer obey the fae.

     To sway his people even more, Aldric began spreading terrifying stories. He claimed the fae lured humans into the forests, where they were killed and eaten. Fear took root, turning into hatred. The people of Thaloria, once adoring, now saw the fae as monsters.

     His words resonated with many, and soon, the other human kings and lords began to listen. He promised them a world where humans ruled alone, where they would no longer offer tribute to, otherworldly beings. And so, in secret, he gathered an army, forging alliances with those who shared his vision. He sought out ancient magics, weapons crafted with the help of alchemists and sorcerers. He was preparing for war.

     King Aldric led his forces to the sacred forest of Eldreth, where the boundary between the Fae and human realms was thinnest. There, he declared his defiance. "No longer will we bow to you, Fae!" he cried out, his voice ringing through the ancient trees. "We are the masters of our own fate!"

     Although this did not go unnoticed. The fae queen, Elowen, whose fox form symbolized cunning and wisdom, saw the rebellion as a direct affront. Summoning her council, "He must be reminded of the balance," Elowen spoke, her voice echoing like the wind through ancient trees. In response, the forest itself seemed to tremble. From the shadows emerged hundreds of Fae shifting into their true forms-huge bears, wolves with eyes that glowed like the moon, stags crowned with antlers of pure silver. They were magnificent, terrifying, and their eyes burned with a cold fury.

     Aldric's forces were ready. Armed with weapons forged to kill even the mightiest Fae. "King Aldric," the leader of the army growled, taking the form of a massive black lion. His voice rumbled through the battlefield like thunder. "You dare break the covenant? You, who owe your throne, your life, to our protection?"