The Curse of the Whisperer in the Wood

It was a silent scream of excitement. After passing all the checkpoints of the airport, I stepped through the threshold of freedom. The automatic doors of the Arrival lounge opened and announce my presence to absolutely no one. There were waving families everywhere. Hugging their loved ones, welcoming them back home or for a visit.

No one would be waiting for me. No hugs for me. There used to be, a very long time ago, but none today. I wasn't sad I was excited. Okay, maybe I was a little sad. It was a fulfillment of a promise. I had promised I would live here and now I do.

I sat in one of the arrival chairs and sorted myself out. This was going to be an adventure. Adventure number one, get to the hotel. I was determined to make a fresh start. Yes this would be great. Twenty six years old and finally, finally on my own. No more Daddy. No more sheltered princess life. It was just me, my one carryon suitcase with my interview suit and a few other clothes, my phone with all my pictures, and my whole life savings. A whole life savings that wasn't much.

I had saved for two years for this. My first job back home socking away as much as I could while still living with my dad. I sold my car but I would need another one. Something cheap but reliable. I was aiming for the same 10 year old car I had back home. I also had enough to get me a month at the extended stay hotel. That is what my whole life so far could get me. Twenty six years old and In a new country. Finally off the Island. Amazing. Now, If I didn't want my whole life to disappear in a month I had to move fast. I needed work.

This week however, I would allow myself a mini vacation. This week we were going to live it up. Me myself and I. The Best Western, the one close to everything, to walk around and get to know my new city. But first I had to get there.

My day started very early. I had to make sure I had everything for life in this tiny suitcase. No pressure at all. You cannot leave anything important, I reminded myself, there is no coming back. Well, there would be. Just not for a very long time. I imagined that if things didn't go super smooth I would be super broke. No money for an Island vacation.

I didn't take much, I always hated traveling with a lot of stuff. My dad traveled light as men always do. I got the habit from him. It was a great life. No long waits checking in baggage, no long waits at baggage claim. No long searches at security. Life was good. You just rolled along.

I had given my friends and cousins most of my belongings at my farewell party. And they gave me well wishes and hugs. I didn't need anyone to hug me now. I had enough hugs to last me a year. I wasn't a hugger so maybe even more than that.

I over ate my breakfast, God knows when I was going to get another meal. A three hour flight to land on Canadian soil. I never expect it to be warm, but the summers are as hot as back home. Another two hours to get out of the belly of the airport security system checks and stamps for a new immigrant and into the Welcome to Canada Arrival Lounge chair. This is a good sit. A happy moment. I sat for a bit watching the huggers. Feeling all the love, until I felt my stomach rumble. I'm hungry. Lets search this airport for a Tim Horton's.