𝟎𝟖| 𝖑𝖎𝖙𝖙𝖑𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖊𝖕𝖘

warning ⚠️; mature content [detailed smut] in the second half of this chapter!

AS THE DAY slowly came to and end, Happy wanted to take his chance to have a conversation with Alanna

AS THE DAY slowly came to and end, Happy wanted to take his chance to have a conversation with Alanna. They had spent the day at the clubhouse, working on his bike before and he took his daughter on a little tour through town.

June hadn't been a big fan of it at first, but two years ago Happy had finally managed to persuade her to let their daughter ride with him at least now and then, with the promise that he'd always drive carefully. Which Happy didᅳ he would never risk anything happening to his kid.

Not many words were spoken as they took a stroll through the park, instead Alanna focused on taking pictures with her camera, which was nothing unusual. The girl spent more time with the camera than with her friends.

It wasn't until they had dinner at Alanna's favorite diner that the two of them started talking, although neither of them really knew what to say. Happy because he was afraid of saying something wrong that might push his daughter away again, and Alanna because she hadn't been particularly easy on her father for the past year.

But Happy had had enough, he missed spending time with his daughter and talking, even if he mostly just listened when Alanna told him about her day or new things that were currently cool.

Leaning against the doorframe, he knocked on Alanna's bedroom door. He had left the girls' rooms exactly as they were before they moved out with June. After a soft 'come in', he turned the knob and entered the dimly lit room.

The smallest smile tugged at his lips, remembering how Alanna preferred to just use her fairy lights instead of the big lamp. Even as a small child, she was always calmer when a room felt warm and homely.

"You got a minute for me?" The mattress gave way beneath him as he sat down at the foot of the bed, his elbows resting on his knees as he looked at his daughter. "Just wanted to talk to you."

"Sure, what's up?" Curiously, the nine-year-old looked up from her book, which she then put aside and sat up a little before she started playing with the pompoms on her dark green blanket. "Is something with Mom? Did she call?"

"No, Mom's okay", he assured the girl immediately, his voice as convincing as possible when he saw the concern on Alanna's face, which quickly relaxed again. "It's about you and me. You are my kid, Lana, and that will never change", he began firmly, running a hand over his tired face before looking at his daughter again. "Mom told me that you think I'll leave you just like your biological mom did back then. Is that true? You really think that?"

Alanna took a deep breath. She was aware that her parents were talking about her and Callie, so she wasn't surprised that her father knew about this. And it was okay.

"You just let Mom leave with us. I know that's what happens when adults split upᅳ but you didn't even ask if Callie and I wanted to stay with you. You just let us leave", she stated, shrugging her shoulders pettily as she returned Happy's hard gaze. Once again she was looking just like him. "It just felt like you didn't care that we were leaving. Like you didn't care about Callie, Mom and me at all."