Chapter 21

Two weeks without my mother's guidance have been exhausting, and I'm drowning in grief. Kwanda took Phili with her, leaving me to lean on Nkanyezi, who's trying to balance her own grief with her demanding job as a gynecologist. She's been forcing food and water down my throat, reminding me that 'Kimberly needs strength.' But the morning sickness that plagued Zipho is now hitting me hard, and I'm too weak to do anything but sleep.

The silence in our vast house is deafening, and I can almost hear my mother's teasing echoes in every corner. 'You guys are fat, angazi nifuze bani'. 'Straight A's, so I know you're not adopted.' 'Glammy, not Granny, ungibheke kahle'  Memories of our time together flood my mind - her driving us to and from boarding school, helping us move into university, and ensuring our new places were spotless before leaving.

The intercom's constant ring breaks my reverie. 'Hello?' I answer. 'Is this the Zungu residence?' a man asks. 'Who is asking?' 'Sheriff of the high court. You have been served, ma'am.' I'm stunned. Who serves a dead woman? I browse through the documents and am shocked to see Thandiwe Gumede, Nhlanhla's mother, seeking full custody of a child she's never met - a child they claim isn't theirs. I'm dumbfounded by her audacity.

I immediately call Minenhle, but she advises that this is outside her jurisdiction. Then I call Zipho, who assures me he'll handle it - no one will take our daughter from us. He arranges a meeting with his father's lawyer and tells me to look presentable, which makes me chuckle considering my current state - unkempt hair and weight loss. I make an effort, showering and wearing a black pantsuit and heels, styling my hair in a sleek bob and keeping my makeup minimal to hide my eye bags.

When he arrives, he texts 'I'm at the gate.' I walk towards his car, and he steps out, whistling and cheering at me, 'Wadla Mbulazi!' He takes the opportunity to lightly spank my ass, making me twirl for his amusement. We drive to his father's house, where Iyana greets me with a hug, asking 'Zama, where's mama?' I compose myself, saying 'She went to work, baby.' she wiggles out of my embrace and runs off.

He leads me to an office where his father's intimidating aura envelops me. 'Makoti,' baba greets with a smug smile, and I respond shyly, feeling the urge to keep my head down. 'Mdladla will be with us shortly,' he says, as Tyrone an Manqoba walk in, their expressions unreadable. The three of them exude a dangerous aura, a stark contrast to Zipho's calm demeanor. I'm uncomfortable with their involvement in my business, but I won't question it now.

'Bombulazi, Rio Makoti,' a man I know too well, he made sure Smanga walked out Scot free every time his name came up in court, the mighty Mdladla says, and I assume Tyrone is Rio. 'I'm sorry I'm late, I got held up,' he says, sitting down. Zipho hands him a letter, which he browses through before returning it. 'Are you aware of your marriage to Mr. Gumede Mazungu?' Smanga asks, his gaze piercing.

'Customarily, yes,' I respond. Manqoba chuckles, handing me a marriage certificate with my signature. I'm shocked. 'But I never signed this!' I exclaim, feeling tears prick at my eyes. They reveal that the Gumedes claim I tried to kill their grandchild, abandoned her in the NICU, and left her in my deceased mother's care, who obtained a protection order against them.

Zipho holds my hand as I break down in sobs, remembering that my mother isn't here to guide me. 'I need you to calm down and trust me to handle this, nhliziyo yami,' he begs, leading me to his bedroom. 'Take a nap, I'll come with an update later. I know the people in the office will make this go away before the day ends.' I nod, and he hands me his sweater, watching as I get in. 'Given the circumstances were different, I'd knock you up again,' he says, making me smile. For the first time in two weeks, I feel deep sleep consuming me, and I let it.

I'm woken by a flurry of kisses and sticky hands. 'Mhm, Iyana,' I groggily say, and she giggles. Her partner in crime, Nami sits on the pillow next to me, holding a rib. 'What are you guys doing here?' I ask, trying to shake off the sleep.