This is just the start

Maya's World

Maya leaned against the chipped, white-painted windowsill of her bedroom, her brown eyes gazing out over the cracked pavement and worn brick buildings that made up her neighborhood. It was the same view she saw every morning, a panorama of desperation with the occasional spark of life—a child kicking a ball, a woman hanging laundry, a group of boys huddled in a corner with their heads down and hoods up. The world beyond her window was one she knew too well, but she couldn't wait to leave behind.

The room around her was a sanctuary, though it was small and modest. Shelves full of books lined the walls, a contrast to the gritty world outside. Maya had made sure it was a place where she could escape, where the chaos outside couldn't reach her. It was a room that smelled of old paper and fresh laundry, where the hum of the ceiling fan drowned out the shouts and sirens outside. The walls were decorated with posters of galaxies, universities she dreamed of attending, and quotes that kept her going on the darkest days.

She glanced at the digital clock on her desk. It was almost time for school. With a sigh, she grabbed her backpack, its weight a familiar comfort against her slim shoulder. She knew today would be like every other—she'd keep her head down, do her work, and try to avoid drawing attention to herself. The goal was simple: survive another day and get closer to her dream of leaving this place behind. She didn't belong here, and she knew it. Her escape plan was the only thing that kept her going.

Maya's mom, a tired woman who worked two jobs, always told her the same thing: "Maya, you gotta stay focused. Don't let nobody pull you down." Those words echoed in her mind as she descended the narrow, creaky staircase and walked into the kitchen. The smell of strong coffee mixed with the faint aroma of last night's dinner. Her mom was already gone for the day, having left early for her cleaning job at a downtown office building.

Maya grabbed a granola bar from the counter and slipped it into her pocket. Breakfast could wait; she had to make sure she wasn't late. She was one of the few students at her high school who actually cared about being on time. To her, every class was a step closer to getting out of here.

As she stepped outside, the air was thick with humidity, clinging to her skin like the tension that always hung over the neighborhood. Maya kept her eyes forward, walking briskly past the groups of people who loitered on the corners. She knew better than to make eye contact. The last thing she wanted was to attract attention from the wrong people.

As she turned the corner, she almost collided with a tall figure coming from the opposite direction. She stepped back quickly, her heart skipping a beat.

"Watch where you goin', girl," the figure said, his voice rough yet tinged with amusement.

Maya looked up and saw Bryson standing in front of her. He was dressed in his usual attire—a loose hoodie, baggy jeans, and sneakers that had seen better days. He had a red durag wrapped around his hair, and his dark eyes sparkled with mischief. He was everything she wasn't—loud, brash, and utterly unconcerned with the rules. He smirked at her, clearly enjoying the way she had almost jumped out of her skin.

"Bryson," she said, her voice steady but cool. She wasn't about to let him see that he had startled her. "You should watch where *you're* going."

He laughed, a deep sound that echoed down the street. "Aight, my bad. Didn't mean to scare you, bookworm."

Maya rolled her eyes, already done with the conversation. "I have to get to school," she said, sidestepping him.

But Bryson wasn't done. He fell into step beside her, hands in his pockets as he kept pace with her quick strides. "You know, you really oughta relax, Maya. You so uptight all the time. What you got a stick up your ass for?"