Chapter 13

Jimin was seated at his small desk, engrossed in reviewing his students' activities. The gentle hum of the evening surrounded him, the quiet interrupted only by the occasional rustle of papers. His phone, placed within reach on the table, buzzed suddenly, breaking his concentration. He glanced at the screen and saw Jungkook’s name flash across it. A small smile tugged at his lips as he answered the call, bringing the phone to his ear.

"Hello?" Jimin greeted, his voice warm.

"Hey, Jimin hyung," came Jungkook's familiar voice, tinged with relief. "I hope I'm not calling too late. Woonie really wants to see you. Would it be okay if we came over? He’s been asking about you non-stop."

Jimin’s smile widened at the thought of Jungwoo. He could never resist the little boy’s bright eyes and infectious laughter. "Of course, you can come over," he replied softly. "I’d love to see Jungwoo. And you too, Jungkook."

Jungkook chuckled, his tone light. "Thanks, hyung. What's your address?"

Jimin quickly gave his address, jotting it down for Jungkook. They continued chatting, the conversation easy and natural. Jimin found himself laughing at Jungkook’s stories about Jungwoo’s antics, feeling the day’s stress melt away.

Just then, there was a sudden knock on Jimin's door. It was a hard, impatient knock that resonated through the quiet of his apartment, making Jimin pause. He glanced at the door, his eyebrows furrowing slightly.

"Hang on, Jungkook," Jimin said into the phone, trying to mask the unease in his voice. "Someone's at the door."

"Alright," Jungkook replied, but Jimin could sense the hint of curiosity in his tone.

Jimin hesitated, feeling a sudden chill wash over him. He wanted to keep talking to Jungkook, to ignore the knocking, but the sound came again, louder this time. The knocks turned to bangs, and then a voice rang out, one that sent a shiver down Jimin’s spine.

"Jimin! Open this door right now!"

Jimin’s heart dropped. He recognized the voice. It was Dohyun, someone from his past he’d rather forget. Panic surged through him, and his mind raced. Why was Dohyun here? How had he found his address?

"Jimin? Is everything okay?" Jungkook’s voice came through the phone, concern lacing his words.

Jimin took a deep breath, trying to steady his racing heart. He couldn’t let Jungkook know. Not now. He needed to keep him and Jungwoo away from whatever trouble Dohyun was bringing. "Y-yeah, Jungkook," Jimin stammered, forcing a smile into his voice. "It’s just...a neighbor. I...I need to go. I’ll see you soon, okay?"

Without waiting for a response, Jimin ended the call abruptly, his hands trembling. He stood up slowly, his gaze fixed on the door. Dohyun’s voice had gone silent, but he knew he was still there, waiting. He walked towards the door, his footsteps echoing in the stillness of his apartment.

As he reached the door, he hesitated, his hand hovering over the doorknob. What did Dohyun want? Why now? He swallowed hard, feeling the fear creeping up his spine.

Meanwhile, across town, Jungkook stared at his phone in disbelief. The abrupt end to their conversation had left him uneasy. Jimin’s voice had sounded...off. Something wasn’t right. Jungkook’s instincts flared, a protective urgency rising within him. He knew Jimin well enough to sense when something was wrong.

Without wasting another moment, Jungkook dialed Namjoon's number. It rang twice before Namjoon picked up.

"Namjoon, it's me," Jungkook said quickly, his tone leaving no room for delay. "Come back here, I need you to watch over Jungwoo for a bit. I have to check on Jimin hyung. Something’s wrong, and I need to make sure he's okay."