𝕱𝖊𝖆𝖘𝖙 𝖔𝖋 𝕱𝖗𝖎𝖈𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓

Prince Echo sat at the dinner table, his fingers drumming softly against the solid oak surface while his gaze fixed on the lively scene unfolding across from him. Briar was seated next to the eldest Prince, Alder.

Her lively laughter spilled over the polished wood, and her eyes sparkled with a joy that was frustratingly captivating. Alder, with his snow white hair and charming smile, leaned in closer, sharing some jest that made Briar laugh even louder. It was a sound that twisted something within Echo.

Why did she always flock toward Alder? Every time she graced the castle with her presence, she would find his brother. It wasn't that Alder was unlikable. In fact, he was everything that a prince should be - noble, kind, and, above all, welcoming.

But for Echo, it was a sharp reminder of his own shortcomings. He had always felt overshadowed by Alder, who seemed to have everything that people loved.

While Alder effortlessly captured her attention, Echo felt invisible, a ghost in a place he so desperately wanted to belong. Jealousy bubbled within him, a bittersweet mixture of irritation and longing.

Echo had known Briar for years. She was the daughter of the Governor of House Brave, visiting on occasion with her family, and unlike most noble ladies, she was genuine and spirited.

She had a wildness in her laughter that made the air feel electric, and yet each time they shared a moment, he couldn't help but ruin it by withdrawing into his own insecurities.

"Why so down , brother?" Alder's teasing tone broke through Echo's thoughts, and he looked up to see Alder smirking, as if he could read his younger brother's mind. Briar shot him an unbothered glance , her smile fading slightly as she picked up on the tension in the air.

"No need to worry about me...brother", Echo replied, his voice low yet full of sarcasm. Alder grinned even more then turned towards Briar to tell her another funny story. Briar turned all her attention back to Alder, her face brightening with intrigue.

Echo felt another wave of irritation wash over him, mixed with an uncomfortable pang of jealousy. He glanced at Briar, her gaze fixed on Alder, and he felt even more invisible.

In an attempt to reclaim a piece of the conversation, Echo cleared his throat and leaned forward to speak but was interrupted by another loud laugh from Briar followed by his brothers annoying laughter.

Echo felt the weight of disappointment pressing down; his heart constricted not just with jealousy, but with the knowledge that despite his attempts, he was little more than a shadow in this moment.

As the feast progressed, laughter echoed against the stone walls and wine flowed freely. It was during a lull that Governor Baha, swelling with pride and the authority of a leader, decided to share a ridiculous ambition of his second daughter.

"Did you know," he began, voice booming, drawing the attention of the table, "that my dear Briar wishes to become a warrior? She believes she can train and fight just as well as any man." Baha laughs in a mocking tone.

A brief silence followed, the weight of his words hanging thick in the air. Briar felt so caught off guard, the air caught in her throat. She looked down at her hands that she started to pick at.

To everyone's surprise, it was King Arch who broke the tension. The formidable monarch leaned forward, a glimmer of support in his eyes. "Why not? The strength of a warrior is not dictated by gender, Governor. If Briar wishes to wield a sword, then who are we to deny her?"

Baha's expression turned steely, a frown upon his lips. "Strength comes from men, my King. Women have an important role to play, but it is not in battle. Briar should focus on finding a suitable husband, not on sharpening blades."

Briar couldn't believe how sexist her own father is. Disgust was visible on her face. Her sister Brianna who sat next to her, portrayed the same emotion.

Prince Echo couldn't resist the opportunity to tease. He leaned back, a sly grin spread across his handsome features. "Come now, father, who would want a wife who can swing a sword? Besides, Briar, how do you expect to gain a husband if you're out slaying beasts in the woods?", he looked directly into her eyes.

Briar's hands clenched on the table's edge, her nails digging into the oak. "I can be both, Echo," she replied, her voice steady, though the irritation was evident. "A warrior does not mean I cannot be nurturing or graceful. What if I wish to protect my family and my kingdom? That does not make me less of a woman."

Echo chuckled, leaning in closer, his eyes sparkling with mischief, he finally got her attention. "Protect? You?, You can barely hold a sword, let alone defend yourself against a real opponent."

"Do not speak to me as if you know me!", Briar furrowed her eyebrows.

"That much I do know", Echo smirked.

"Enough!", the king chastised.

Briar met Echos taunt with fiery determination. "You'll see, Princess One day, I will prove you wrong.

Alder laughed beside her at the title she addressed his brother with. Echos smirk faded within seconds.

Governor Baha snorted dismissively. "What you're talking about, Briar, is folly. You've read too many tales. In our land, it is the duty of women to care for their households, to nurture the next generation. That is true strength."

King Arch, maintaining eye contact with Briar, nodded thoughtfully. "And yet, Governor, history teaches us that the mightiest of warriors are often born from the fiercest of mothers. Strength and weakness are not confined to gender; they lie within the heart."

Briar felt a swell of hope. "See, Echo? Even the King understands."

Rolling his eyes, Echo raised his goblet in feigned surrender. "Fine, fine. If you want to become a warrior, be my guest. Just don't come crying to me when you get yourself hurt, or worse-when no one wants to marry you because you're too busy practicing with your 'sword'."

Briar chuckles, "Trust me I won't."

The dinner resumed, but Briar's words hung in the air. At long last, she felt emboldened. The arguments would not fade into the shadows of her father's antiquated beliefs. She could carve her own destiny, whether it involved wielding a sword, shaping a family, or pioneering a new path that blended both.

As the laughter and conversations bubbled around her, Briar caught King Arch's eye once more, finding an ally where she least expected it. Frustrated but undaunted, she imagined a life where courage wasn't defined by titles but by the strength of one's resolve. And perhaps, just perhaps, she'd make warriors of more women than anyone thought possible, starting with herself.