07: an obnoxious melody

CHAPTER SEVEN ; I'LL THINK ABOUT IT, NEMO

"Is Coach Na not coming to practice today?" Natty asked as she walked on the door, seeing the signage that said that Sowon was in charge today

"Is Coach Na not coming to practice today?" Natty asked as she walked on the door, seeing the signage that said that Sowon was in charge today. "The last time we saw her, she wasn't dead, sick, had family problems, or we pissed her off."

Sowon stuck her gloved hands on her hips. "Well shit, Natty. Am I that bad of a coach?"

"Not at all, Ryu. Actually, I think we're more productive on the ice when you're the one coaching. However, your training is so rigorous that I almost want to peel my face off," Natty's honesty wasn't very kind, but Sowon could agree. They typically trained for two to three hours, and from all the times that Sowon was in charge, the girls would beg Coach Na for the next day off.

Coach Na would agree. She knew that Sowon worked her girls more than she ever could. That's why she trusted in the ability of the Captain. Nobody else deserved that title more than she did. "Let's get changed, girls, and head to the ice!"

"Yes, Ryu!"

All at once, the girls flooded into the empty ice rink, silence becoming filled with feminine giggles and cursing. Sowon opened the door to the rink and allowed all the girls to go in before her, checking her phone one last time for a text from Ryu Sohee that would indicate if she would be getting a ride tonight. "Alright, let's start with–!"

Then, the melody, or well, the clatter, started. It consisted of men shouting, of loud instruments that would play off-key and long. Sowon felt her eyes twitching, swallowing hard. She slowly turned her head toward the noise, but the wall protected their identities. "What the fuck?" Narae questioned loudly, closing one of her ears. "Are we having a concert or a funeral!?"

Sowon couldn't even process words. After a moment, it stopped.

On the other side of the wall that protected indoors from outdoors, Sunghoon's hand was high up in the air, his ear pressed against the stone. The rest of the swim team held cymbals, drums, violins, and clarinets, all borrowed from the musical department for this sole purpose. Sunghoon looked over at the rest of the team who were anxious, not wanting to be beaten up by the strong ice hockey players.