Prolouge

Brick stared at the unmoving bundles sadly. They weren't moving, except for one. "Butterfly, look! One of them is alive!" Butterfly lifted her head, "Really?" Brick bounced up and down like an excited kit, "Yes!" Butterfly slowly smiled, and licked the kits. Butterfly had kitted, and got three kits, two dead, while one was barely alive.

The one kit yowled as Butterfly gently groomed it. It's pelt was pure black, but the silvery moon shone down on it, making it look gray. They were in a dumpster, a place where humans could not hurt them. But, what was bad was that they barely got any food, so how were they going to feed this little kit?

"Shush, little one," Butterfly meowed, smiling, "You're going to wake the humans." As she groomed the yound kit, Brick snatched a piece a moldy pizza from their tiny food storage. "Here." He meowed, dropping the slice, "Eat this, Butterfly, you must be tired." She gratefully ate it while the yound kit drank milk from her. "It's midnight, isn't it?"Butterfly suddenly asked.

"Yes." Brick replied. Butterfly smiled, "Then this kit will be named Midnight." Suddenly, the moon's light got brighter, and shone directly at Midnight as he slept. Brick frantically pulled Butterfly away. As the moon shone on his pelt, there was a bright flash of light, and everything went back to normal. Except for one thing: there was a scar shaped like a cresent moon on his shoulder.

"What happened?" Brick meowed. Butterfly stared at him with wide eyes full of pure horror, "I know what this is.." Butterfly murmured, terrified, "Midnight has the curse."