𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏

chapter one:
this is sunny

PLEASE DONT BE A GHOST READER!COMMENT AND VOTE

COMMENT AND VOTE

✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸

Sunny was lost in her own world as she sat in the bustling cafeteria. Her chin rested in the palm of her hand, her gaze distant and dreamy as she imagined herself dancing with Eli in a celestial realm of her own making. The vast expanse of space stretched out before her, filled with twinkling stars and swirling galaxies. She was in her element, enveloped in the beauty of the universe she so adored. Ever since childhood, astronomy, dance, and science had been her passions, and her daydreams often revolved around these interests.

Her twin sister, Moon, had always been a constant in her life, and their nicknames—Sunny and Moon—felt like a perfect balance. Summer was her real name, but Moon had started calling her "Sunny" when they were just five years old, and it had stuck. It felt like a natural extension of their bond, like they were meant to be Sunny and Moon, lighting up each other's worlds.

Sunny's reverie was abruptly interrupted by Martiza's voice cutting through her thoughts. "Sunny! Summer!" Martiza's tone was louder and more urgent than usual.

Sunny blinked rapidly, her daydream dissolving as she turned her attention to Martiza, who was waving a hand in front of her face. "What?" she asked softly, still trying to shake off the remnants of her imaginative escape.

"New kid," Martiza said, her eyes darting toward the cafeteria entrance. Sunny followed her gaze and saw Miguel Diaz, the new student, making his way toward their table. She had shared a Spanish class with him, and he had been particularly helpful when she was struggling with a tricky grammar question. He had offered his assistance in a way that was kind and unassuming.

Miguel approached with a hopeful look on his face. "Hi, Summer. Is it cool if I sit here?" he asked, his voice polite but tinged with the nervousness of a newcomer.

Sunny was about to respond with a warm smile, but before she could say anything, Demetri, ever the class clown, interjected. "Ooh. Sorry, table's really blowing up right now," he said with exaggerated seriousness. "I can put you on the waitlist, but it's probably next semester at the earliest."

Miguel's face fell immediately, disappointment evident as he began to turn away. Sunny's eyes widened in alarm, her mouth opening to correct Demetri's joke, but Martiza was quicker on the draw.

"No, new kid! He's just messing with you," Martiza called out, rolling her eyes at Demetri's antics. Miguel stopped, his expression softening into a relieved smile as he turned back and sat down next to Eli.

Martiza shot Demetri a reproachful glance and nudged him with her elbow. The tension between Martiza and Demetri was palpable—everyone could see they were constantly at each other's throats. It was clear they had a complicated dynamic, one that Eli and Sunny enjoyed teasing them about. But whenever they did, it only seemed to escalate their bickering.