12 : broken skates

CHAPTER TWELVE ; PLEASE, PLEASE

CHAPTER TWELVE ; PLEASE, PLEASE... GIVE ME BACK MY SKATES.

Sowon sat in the penalty box alone

Sowon sat in the penalty box alone. Her ice skates were right next to her.

She didn't invite Narae to skate with her and practice. She didn't call Natty and tell her she needed to work on scoring, nor did she tell Hikaru that she'd like to train her to be a good center. It was Sowon in silence, and Sowon in her head. Not Ryu, but Sowon herself.

She wasn't in ice hockey training attire. Actually, she had been practicing for days on end, until the janitor would force her to leave. Her mind was scattered by the thought of people and the conflict of the award. Sowon couldn't help but drag her hands through her hair, sweating at every popup of Jaeyun in her head.

Why would he do that? Was he trying to be nice, or would she owe him later? She couldn't wrap her head around it. They were rivals, fighting for what they perceived as truth. She was willing to lower her ego to befriend him, but at what cost? What if he didn't see her that way? What if he was just like the boy who believed she was funny to think he would ever like her?

"I like you," Sowon blushed, giving him a cake that she specially baked for him. She took baking classes for a month to get the perfect cheesecake–it cost her not only practice time, but also a lot of part time job money. He stared at it, hands still remaining in his pocket. "I know that I don't seem very feminine, and I'm not as fitting for you, but I hope that my feelings still reach you."

Batting her eyelashes, she waited for him to say something–but all that happened was a loud laugh, the first-year tennis player holding his stomach. "Are you serious? I can't believe this–guys, come out!" Sowon took a step back when the rest of the tennis team came from behind the wall, beginning to snicker and snort at Sowon's bravery. "Do you really think I'd like someone as pure and as brute as you? Come on, Sowon. Who would date an ice hockey player?"

She knew someone who would. She knew that her friends had boyfriends, too. What's so wrong with ice hockey girls? Or, what was wrong with her?

"But–!"