𝑺𝒑𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒌𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈. 𝑫𝒊𝒔𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓. 𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆.

Spirits follow me wherever I go

Oh, they sing all day, and they haunt me in the night

-Lord Huron, Love Like Ghosts

Rowan's head rests against the steering wheel

Rowan's head rests against the steering wheel. He has been served a suspension of three days. Of course, his dad was not excited to hear that both kids were suspended from their new school. After a furious talk over the phone, Rowan was called to his dad's work, where he'll be kept a close eye on.

After some deep breaths and lots of convincing, Rowan exits the truck. The building in front of him is one of the largest in the small town. Confused about where to go, Rowan refers to his dad's text directing him to a side door near the third stage.

It takes a few minutes to navigate the correct door. Inside, the lighting is dim, and explosions can be heard in the distance. Rowan squints his eyes, desperately trying to see what is happening.

"I think this will be the next best-selling movie," A familiar voice comes from behind. A flash of red hair emerges behind some storage. Juniper holds a statue of a fake wolf in her arms. It's about the same size as her. Rowan notices her sweating face; he can't tell if it's from lifting things or from the gloves remaining on her hands.

Rowan nervously looks to see if his dad follows behind her. Juniper notices his expression and chuckles, "I guess I'm not the only bad kid anymore."

"Is he still in a bad mood?"

Juniper sets down the wolf statue, "Not when he's busy making animal props."

This gives Rowan some relief. He already has his hands tied with a troublesome ghost. He doesn't need his dad added to the conflict.

Juniper guides him to a small corner away from the loud movie being shot. It must be some sort of action or thriller because of the audible sound effects being used. Away from the action, Rowan and Juniper find metal chairs to sit in and discuss their recent problems.

Rowan describes the incident that landed him a suspension. Her face grows sadder each time Zander is mentioned. The ghost remains a significant burden on the sibling's shoulders, and they are unsure how to get rid of him.

Rowan watches his sister fidget with her coat. He gets a glimpse of transparent skin underneath the fabric. The ghost's curse is spreading fast. A terrible realization comes to Rowan.

"We only have three days," he breathes before burying his head in his hands.

"Three days until Halloween," Juniper repeats. "How can we possibly trap that buffoon of a ghost back into his stupid book?"

Rowan's head lifts before he digs into his pocket for his phone. Quickly, he types away, looking for a solution. Desperately, he looks through websites while Juniper watches over his shoulder.