Prologue: Ashes and Eternity

The early morning mist curled over the lake like a living thing, soft tendrils of fog stretching across the dock where Hope Mikaelson stood. The sun had not yet broken over the horizon, leaving the world bathed in cool gray light. It was quiet—too quiet—except for the sound of the gentle waves lapping at the wooden beams beneath her feet.

Two years ago, on this very dock, Hope had scattered her father's ashes. Seven years had passed since Klaus Mikaelson's death, but it still felt like yesterday. Time had a way of playing tricks on her like that, making grief feel endless, as if it had no regard for how many years had passed.

She closed her eyes, remembering the weight of the urn in her hands, the way her fingers had trembled as she let the ashes fall, scattering into the wind and water, disappearing just as quickly as he had from her life. Landon had been there with her, standing quietly by her side, his hand clasping hers as though he knew words weren't enough. That day had been the last time she saw him.

A tear slipped down her cheek, unbidden and unwelcome. She had thought she was past this, past the tears, past the longing. But here she was, breaking apart all over again. Perhaps it was because Landon had managed to send her a message from the other side, a message from Klaus that she hadn't known she needed until she heard it. It had been his final words—words meant to comfort her, to assure her that he was at peace.

But peace was not enough for her. Not anymore.

"I thought I was okay," she whispered to the water, her voice barely above a breath. "I thought I'd moved on. But I guess... I never really did."

Because how could she? How could anyone move on from the death of a parent, especially someone like her, a Tribrid destined to live for eternity? It wasn't just the weight of Klaus's death that she carried—it was Elijah's, Haley's, even Landon's, though he had found peace in a way she hadn't expected. She carried them all, like ghosts haunting her every step, lingering in the corners of her mind.

She wiped at her face, frustrated by the tears she couldn't seem to stop. "I wish you were here," she said, the words slipping out before she could stop them. "I wish you weren't at peace, but alive. Here. With me. Mom, Dad, Uncle Elijah...Landon."

But wishes didn't change the world, and they certainly didn't bring the dead back. That was the one thing she couldn't fix, no matter how much power she held as the Tribrid.

The air shifted, a ripple of energy moving through the space around her. She froze, her heart skipping a beat as the dock seemed to grow impossibly quiet. When she turned, she found herself no longer alone.

Standing at the end of the dock, as if he had appeared from nowhere, was the Sphinx.

The ancient creature was imposing, his lion's body and human face an unsettling combination of power and knowledge. His eyes, gleaming with an unreadable depth, locked onto hers, and for a moment, the world felt suspended, as though the air itself was waiting for whatever came next.

"You mourn for what is gone," the Sphinx said, his voice deep and resonant, cutting through the stillness. "You mourn for what you cannot change."

Hope swallowed hard, suddenly feeling exposed, as if he had heard every whispered thought, every quiet wish. "What are you doing here?"

"I am here to fulfill a debt," he said simply, taking a step closer, his massive paws soundless on the dock. "A debt owed to you."

Her brows furrowed in confusion. "A debt?"

"You freed me, and many others, from Malivore," the Sphinx said, his voice calm and measured. "For that, I owe you a debt. A debt I intend to repay."

Hope stared at him, the confusion on her face deepening. "I didn't do it for any kind of reward," she replied, the weight of his words unsettling her. "I just did what needed to be done."

The Sphinx inclined his head slightly, acknowledging her response. "Nevertheless, the universe does not function solely on intent, but also on balance. I am here to restore that balance."

Before she could respond, he extended his hand, revealing something that shimmered in the dim morning light. It was a watch—ornate, old, with intricate details carved into its surface. The timepiece seemed almost to pulse with energy, a quiet hum that thrummed against the very air around them.

Hope's eyes narrowed. "What is that?"

The Sphinx's lips curved ever so slightly, a cryptic smile crossing his features. "A gift. Or a curse, depending on how you choose to use it."

Hope hesitated, her gaze flickering between the watch and the Sphinx's face. "What do you mean?"

"This watch has the power to rewrite time itself," the Sphinx explained, his voice calm, but filled with a gravity that sent a chill down her spine. "With it, you can undo the past, change what has been, and alter the very fabric of your life and the lives of those around you."

Hope's heart pounded in her chest as she stared at the object in his hand. Her mind raced with possibilities—of seeing her father again, of bringing Elijah and Haley back, of undoing the endless pain that seemed to define her existence. But even as those thoughts took shape, she felt a flicker of caution deep inside.

"And the catch?" she asked, her voice sharper than before. "There's always a catch."

The Sphinx's smile deepened, as though he was pleased she understood the weight of his offer. "The watch grants you control over time, but time itself is not something that can be rewritten without consequence. Every change you make ripples outward, creating new paths, new futures... new costs."

He stepped closer, his eyes locking onto hers with a piercing intensity. "You must ask yourself—what is it that you truly seek to change? And are you prepared for what it will cost?"

Hope's breath caught in her throat. The temptation was overwhelming—just the thought of seeing her family again, of undoing the loneliness that seemed to stretch on endlessly into her future. But even as her heart longed for it, her mind rebelled against the idea. She knew, more than anyone, that power like this came with a heavy price.

She swallowed, her voice barely a whisper. "Why would you give me this?"

The Sphinx's eyes softened, just slightly. "Because I owe you. You saved me and the others when no one else would. And now, I give you the choice. The watch is yours, Hope Mikaelson. Whether or not you use it is up to you."

Hope stared at the watch, the weight of the decision pressing down on her like a suffocating force. She could feel the temptation rising within her, the ache in her heart screaming for her to take it, to use it. But at the same time, something held her back—a small voice of reason, of caution.

"Take your time," the Sphinx said, his voice now gentle. "The choice is yours. But remember, time, once rewritten, cannot be easily undone."

With that, he turned and walked away, disappearing into the mist as suddenly as he had appeared, leaving Hope standing alone on the dock, the watch still glimmering in his wake.