PROLOGUE

Emily's hands trembled as she gripped the steering wheel, her knuckles turning white as the airbag hung deflated in front of her. Shattered glass sparkled like diamonds across the dashboard, and the metallic smell of blood filled the air. Her chest tightened with panic, her breath coming in shallow gasps as she tried to make sense of what had just happened.

The world outside was a blur of flashing red and blue lights, sirens wailing in the distance. She could hear voices shouting, muffled through the wreckage of her car. But the only thing she could focus on was the relentless pounding of her heart and the overwhelming fear that she might not get out.

"Miss! Miss, can you hear me?"

A calm, deep voice cut through the haze, anchoring her to the present moment. Emily blinked, struggling to turn her head. Through the shattered window, she saw a figure in dark, heavy gear. His face was partially obscured by a helmet, but his eyes—those kind, steady eyes—locked onto hers with a reassuring intensity.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm here to help," the man said gently, crouching down beside her window. "My name's Harvey Miller. You're going to be alright, okay?"

Emily swallowed hard, trying to find her voice, but all she managed was a shaky nod. Tears welled in her eyes, blurring her vision, and she felt the weight of her fear pressing down on her chest.

"Just focus on my voice," Harvey continued, his tone steady and soothing. "We're going to get you out of here, but I need you to stay as calm as you can. Can you do that for me?"

She wanted to scream that she couldn't, that she was terrified and felt like she couldn't breathe, but something in his voice—a quiet confidence, an unwavering calm—made her nod again. She clung to it like a lifeline.

"That's it," he said with a small, reassuring smile. "Good job. Now, I'm going to check if anything's stuck, okay? You just hang tight."

Emily watched as Harvey moved around the car, assessing the damage. His movements were quick but deliberate, every action filled with purpose. The panic in her chest began to ease, just a little, as she watched him work.

"How are you doing in there?" he called out as he returned to her side.

"I... I don't know," she whispered, her voice shaky.

"You're doing great," he assured her. "Just a few more minutes, and we'll have you out of here."

True to his word, it wasn't long before she felt the pressure release as the door was carefully pried open. Harvey was there in an instant, his strong arms reaching out to help her. She hesitated for a moment, still frozen by fear, but then she looked into his eyes again, and somehow, she knew she could trust him.

"Take it slow," he said softly, guiding her out of the wreckage with a firm but gentle grip. "I've got you."

The moment her feet touched the ground, Emily's knees buckled, and she collapsed against him. Harvey caught her effortlessly, holding her upright as her body shook with the aftermath of adrenaline and shock. She buried her face against his chest, clinging to the rough fabric of his uniform as sobs wracked her body.

"You're safe now," Harvey murmured, one hand gently stroking her hair. "You're safe."

***

Two months had passed since the accident, but Emily could still feel the faint echo of fear whenever she got behind the wheel. Today, though, her nerves had nothing to do with driving. She sat in the waiting room of the hospital, absently flipping through a magazine, waiting for her name to be called for her follow-up appointment.