chapter 27

Kamia breaks the silence as she plays with Iyana's curls, drawing Mbuso back to reality as he drives into Zama's house, knowing this is the last place they would look. The houses are far apart, an added advantage since no neighbors will be lurking around. "That was not part of the plan, you know," she adds in lingala, "azali komonana exactly lokola nsaku" (She looks exactly like Nsaku).

Mbuso responds, annoyed, "Ngishilo ngathi kungcono uthule muzongikhulumela lento yakho" , he can understand her language  but he could never admit that he is wrong and a woman is right under any circumstances. he makes sure to lock up and switch of the lights as he settles into the couch, he can't help but think about Zama's warmth and fragrance, which still lingers in the elegant yet homely house. He knows he has sealed his fate by touching her, but he couldn't resist his fetish for pregnant women, especially with her long sexy legs and full breasts. Thoughts race in his head as he remembers his mother died from the same pain he just inflicted on Zama, despite knowing her history. Smanga will not hesitate to chop off his sex and feed it to him before chopping him off limb by limb for what he has done. Trying to reassure himself, Mbuso says to Kamia, "We'll wait for the dust to settle and then move to Congo. We'll find a small town and settle down." But deep down, he knows it's only a matter of hours before Smanga finds him and takes his last breath.

Smanga paces back and forth in his office, frustration etched on his face as he struggles to come to terms with the fact that his own son has committed a heinous crime. The same son who was born from his first love, who was brutally molested and left to die. He can't believe that Mbuso, his own flesh and blood, has inflicted the same pain on his brother's wife, Zama. He knows Mbuso is a killer, but he never imagined such brutality from him.

Smanga's mind is racing with thoughts of revenge and retribution. He has no choice but to start making funeral arrangements for his son, because there's no way he's letting Mbuso live after this. Memories of Mamkhize flash in his head, reminding him of the promise he made to himself to heal her wounded heart after her husband's passing. He had vowed to protect her daughters at all costs, but now his own son has violated that promise in the most gruesome way possible.As he waits for an update on Mbuso's whereabouts, Smanga's anger grows. He feels helpless, unable to do anything but wait at this moment. The thought of his son's actions is consuming him, fueling his rage and desire for vengeance.

Zama's gaze remains fixed on a single spot, her eyes frozen in a mixture of shock and despair since arriving at the hospital. She hasn't moved, hasn't spoken, her only response the steady stream of tears welling up in her eyes. The doctors' questions hang in the air, unanswered, as she withdraws into herself. She's been here before, and she knows that no words can undo the pain she's endured. Her only concern is her daughter, Iyana, but no one seems to be giving her any updates. The silence is deafening, and Zama's anxiety grows. Her rapid heartbeat and soaring blood pressure alert the medical staff, who decide to sedate her to prevent further distress. As the medication takes effect, Zama's thoughts grow hazy, but her fear for her unborn child's life lingers. The uncertainty is suffocating - will her baby survive, or will she lose another piece of herself? The silence from the medical staff only adds to her anguish, leaving her with only her darkest thoughts.

Meanwhile in Port Elizabeth Zipho's fists clench, his anger and hurt boiling over as he confronts Manqoba, whose charges have miraculously been dropped. "I should be home with my wife and daughters, safe and warm in bed," he seethes, his voice trembling with rage. He unleashes a flurry of punches, each one landing with a sickening thud, as Manqoba cries out in despair. "Bhuti, I didn't do anything!" he pleads, but his fury will not be swayed.