Chapter 17 - The Dead

Li Liangyuan had dealt with lower-ranked consorts before, but the Emperor had never been so disrespectful to her.

This incident made her feel there was something else at play. It was better to be cautious.

"Humph, does she even deserve to represent the Zhang family? If it weren't for her scheming, how could she have entered the palace as a concubine, Momo?" Consort Shu

"Why does my cousin treat me this way? What wrong have I done?"

Her sister might have won his heart, but it wasn't her fault. Why should all the blame fall on her?

It was clearly her sister who betrayed the family. If it weren't for her, why would their family still be under the Empress Dowager's influence years after the Emperor's ascension?

 "Your Highness," the wet nurse was also heartbroken for her mistress, but there was nothing anyone could do.

Her poor mistress...

"The Emperor despises connections between the previous dynasty and the inner palace. If you want to change this, you must think it through before taking action."

Consort Shu knew this well, but unlike her sister, she couldn't ignore the family's influence.

"Let me think about it more."

The next day, under the intense summer heat, Bai Jingxian felt faint from the heat on her way back from the morning greeting. Unfortunately, as a lower-ranking consort, she had little access to ice to cool herself.

In such weather, it was a wonder the Empress still conducted morning greetings. One would think she would be resting in a palace filled with ice basins and using beauty treatments. After all, women aim to please those who admire them, and men even more so.

An indifferent ruler, whether handsome or ugly, would take advantage of anyone useful. So why not improve her own beauty? Perhaps the Emperor would visit more often.

In the middle of the day, upon returning to her own palace, Bai Jingxian immediately went to sleep.

Just as she was comfortably drifting off, a loud commotion came from outside the hall.

Chun Yu hurried in, forcefully pushing open the door and startling Chun Feng, who was on guard. "What happened outside?"

Chun Feng stopped Chun Yu from rushing in, frowning, and looked back at the sleeping mistress. Seeing Bai Jingxian waking up, she stepped aside.

"My lady, something has happened outside." Chunyu was visibly frightened.

The scene outside was enough to terrify anyone.

Bai Jingxian got out of bed, "What is it?"

Chu Yu began recounting the events at Qingliang Hall's front courtyard in a rush.

"Five palace maids and eunuchs who were cleaning the front courtyard are dead. At the main gate, Lady Bai (Bai Jingyan) is lying there covered in blood, still clutching a blood-soaked letter," Chun Yu said, shivering with fear.

Bai Jingxian hurried towards Chun Yu, and Chun Feng quickly draped a cloak over her. "Let's go see," she said. Such a significant event couldn't be ignored.

They soon arrived at the front courtyard, where the sight of the bloodied corpses made Bai Jingxian step back several paces, stabilizing herself. She had never seen so many dead bodies, having lived in peaceful times.

Some of the surrounding palace maids and eunuchs fell to their knees after Chun Feng's scolding.

Bai Jingxian closed her eyes. "Can we inform the Emperor and the Empress?" Such a major incident was beyond the capability of a mere consort like herself to handle.

Xiao Li stepped forward. "My Lady, this place is too dirty. It's better if you avoid it. We've already sent people to report it. The Emperor and the Empress should have been informed."

Given the gravity of the situation, Xiao Li dared not tamper with the bodies. He had them left as they were, waiting for the officials from the Department of Justice to arrive.

Since the matter was related to his master, Xiao Li also refrained from erasing any clues.

Bai Jingxian, pale and frightened, glanced at the door and then trembled, asking, "Who is it?"

As if anticipating her question, Xiao Li blocked her path. "Replying to the my lady, it's Lady Bai."

"What?"

Bai Jingxian couldn't believe that the deceased was Bai Jingyan. Ignoring her fear, she rushed over. Seeing the unclosed eyes, she let out a scream and fainted.

The news had long reached the palace authorities.

Emperor Rui and the Empress, upon learning of the incident, rushed to Qingliang Hall simultaneously.

"Physician, how is my lady?" Chun Feng, upon seeing her mistress faint, immediately called for the physician.

The Empress arrived at Qingliang Palace before the Emperor. Seeing the unconscious Bai Jingxian, she ordered the physician to diagnose her immediately.

"He Liangdi is in shock, with reversed qi and blood flow, and is suffering from heart and gallbladder deficiency. I will prescribe some medicine. Someone should go to the Imperial Hospital to fetch it," the physician said, visibly shaken by the scene.

If the Empress hadn't intervened, he wouldn't have dared step over the corpses to take her pulse. The scene was too horrifying. He had already recognized that the dead were poisoned, with a particularly deadly poison that blocked the throat.

"Thank you, Physician." Chun Feng took the prescription and hurried out.

Just as she was leaving, she ran into Emperor Rui.

Emperor Rui was also startled by the sight of the corpses in Qingliang Palace.

"What happened?"

The Empress had already summoned the officials from the Department of Justice. Seeing the Emperor's inquiry, she immediately pointed to them. "Why aren't you reporting to the Emperor?"

Huang Daren from the Department of Justice stepped forward. "Your Majesty, after inspection, all these people died from the same poison. The specifics of the poison need the physician's evaluation." This was the first time he had encountered such a situation in his years in the palace.

To poison so many people was incredibly bold.

"Handle this matter and find out the truth," Emperor Rui said with a grim expression, clearly disturbed. "What about Jingxian?"

"Your Majesty, He Liangdi fainted from shock and is receiving treatment from the physician in the inner chamber," the Empress replied.

Upon hearing this, the Emperor headed towards the inner chamber, followed by the Empress.

Previously vibrant and beautiful, Bai Jingxian lay pale and restless on the bed, her usual shy and smiling demeanor completely absent. Her furrowed brows and unstable sleep were distressing.

Seeing the physician attending to her, the Emperor inquired briefly and, upon learning it was only a shock, left the inner chamber.

The Empress, noting Bai Jingxian's enchanting beauty, felt a pang of worry and followed the Emperor out of the chamber.

Outside, the Emperor awaited the results from the Department of Justice.

Fortunately, the capable officials quickly clarified the situation. Huang Daren came to report after the investigation, and after receiving the report, he was brought into the hall.

"Speak. What happened?" Emperor Rui's piercing gaze was fixed on Huang Daren. "I never imagined someone in my palace would be so audacious."

Huang Daren was also deeply unsettled. The situation was fraught with oddities. Considering the enmity between the two sisters, it shouldn't have reached such a deadly level.

Moreover, the poisoning was so blatant—entire wells had been poisoned. This wasn't just to harm Lady Jingxian but to kill everyone in Qingliang Palace.

And how did the person from Qinghe Palace end up outside Qingliang Palace? Why did they die so coincidentally?