Chapter 30

Snow was falling heavily over the small town. It was silent inside the shop except for the loud howls of the wind. It reminded me of the one-time Giyuu came in while Sabito was sick. Giyuu… I wonder what he’s doing.

I groaned and laid my forehead on the counter. I fucked up so bad a few nights ago. I haven’t tried talking to him. I knew him well enough that he needed alone time. Why had I done that? I know it’s wrong but a selfish part of me was giddy with the thought of me being his first kiss. That I was the girl able to get him out of his shell.

I heard the bell of the door ring, and I immediately straightened up. “Hello, if there’s any–“ I paused, looking at who it was. “Oh hey, Mochizuki.”

She took off her gloves and shoved them into her bag, “Hello Kamado! I didn’t know you worked here.” She beamed so brightly that I wouldn’t be surprised if the snow melted as she walked.

“I have to make money somehow,” I smiled, “Is there anything I can help you find?” I got off from my stool and walked around the counter.

“I’m just looking around,” she sauntered off to the bouquets, “Quite the storm out there. Much different from the festival.”

“Tell me about it. Speaking of the festival, how’d you like it? Was it like you imagined?” I was curious to know how others viewed our town. Plus, she must have moved in by now.

She bent down to smell some roses, “Yes, it was lovely. I wish I was able to celebrate afterwards, but it was getting dark.”

I thought about the men who tried attacking me and Fumiko and was glad that Youmu wasn’t there. If it was her instead of me, things would have turned out differently. “I’m glad you decided to go home early,” I shook my head, “There were some creeps lurking around. If it weren’t for Giyuu, I don’t know how we would have gotten out of that situation.”

Again with Giyuu. I haven’t been able to get him out of my head, not even for a second. And the guiltiness kept eating me up inside. Some nights Akaza would arrive, but I’d just pretend like everything was fine. Like I hadn’t disappointed him.

“What do you mean?” Youmu looked puzzled, “Did something happen?”

I explained the whole situation. How we were just leaving before those weirdos came onto us. How I was so close to receiving a hit to the face before Giyuu stepped in. Youmu’s eyes seem to light up at every mention of Giyuu. It was as if I was painting a picture of him, one with every single good quality about that man. But she would never know the private sides of him. The way he’s so grumpy in the mornings, and flawless at the same time. The small smiles he gives us when he sees me and Sabito getting along.

I was so deep in my head that Youmu noticed, “You seem to be fond of Tomioka huh?”

My cheeks heated up in embarrassment, “He’s my best friend.”

“Well, all this talk about being attacked scares me,” she visibly shivered.

That’s when an idea popped into my head, “Why don’t you get into lessons? Giyuu could personally show you self-defense.” It would help Giyuu gain some students, and at the same time, he could bond with another girl. It was finally time I let him go, wasn’t it? Wasn’t the kiss a sign telling me that we weren’t meant to be?

She grabbed my arm, “Really? You would do that for me?”

I instantly regretted saying anything. She seemed a bit too happy. “Yeah of course,” I managed to smile.

She let go of my arm and grabbed the bouquet she was staring at for a bit, “Okay let’s talk details while you ring me up.”

We ultimately decided that tomorrow, I would come pick her up at her house and we would walk to Giyuu’s together. I would introduce them; they would talk while I would make conversation with Sabito. Easy peasy no?