Chapter 7: "The Festival of Lights"

-Pov. Oscar-

The city was alive with color. It was the Festival of Lights, and the streets were decorated with lanterns and glowing orbs, casting a warm, magical light over everything. I hadn’t planned on attending, but my friend insisted I come along, and in the end, I was glad I did.

Wandering through the festival, I took in the vibrant displays and the joyful atmosphere. It felt like a dreamscape, a perfect escape from the everyday pressures. I was lost in the beauty of it all when I saw him.

Lando.

He was standing by a stall, admiring a lantern with a thoughtful expression. For a moment, I just watched him, the sight of him in this setting striking me as surreal. He looked different here, more relaxed, more... himself.

I took a deep breath and walked over. “Lando?”

He turned, his eyes lighting up with surprise and something else—an unmistakable warmth. “Oscar! I didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Yeah, same,” I said, trying to ignore the fluttering in my stomach. “A friend dragged me along.”

Lando smiled, a genuine, easy smile that made me forget any lingering awkwardness. “Well, I’m glad you came. It’s a beautiful night, isn’t it?”

“It is,” I agreed, looking around. “I love festivals like this. They remind me that there’s more to life than just work.”

Lando nodded, and for a moment, we both fell into a comfortable silence, enjoying the view. The festival was in full swing, with lights twinkling overhead and the scent of street food filling the air.

“Do you want to walk around?” Lando asked. “I’ve been meaning to check out the light displays and maybe grab something to eat.”

I hesitated for a moment, then nodded. “Sure, let’s do it.”

We strolled through the festival, chatting about everything and nothing. The relaxed atmosphere seemed to bring out a different side of both of us. There were no cameras, no expectations—just the two of us enjoying a night out.

At one point, we stopped at a stall selling traditional festival lanterns. Lando picked one up, examining it with a look of pure fascination. “These are beautiful,” he said, turning it over in his hands. “I always love the way they light up the night.”

I smiled, watching him. “They’re pretty amazing. They’ve got this way of making everything feel magical.”

He grinned, holding the lantern up. “Want to take one home?”

“Sure,” I said, laughing. “But only if you promise not to start an obsession with lanterns.”

“Deal,” he said with a chuckle.

We continued exploring, eventually finding ourselves at a large open area where people were gathering to release lanterns into the sky. The sight was breathtaking—hundreds of lanterns floating upward, filling the night with soft, glowing light.

“Do you want to do one?” Lando asked, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

I looked at him, feeling a rush of emotion. “Yeah, let’s do it.”

We bought a lantern and took it to the launching area. Together, we carefully lit the candle inside and prepared to release it. As we watched it start to rise, I felt a sense of peace, a feeling that everything was finally falling into place.

“It’s beautiful,” Lando said softly, his voice full of awe.

“It is,” I agreed, my heart swelling with a mix of happiness and hope. “Just like tonight.”

He looked over at me, his expression serious but tender. “I’m really glad we’re here together.”

“Me too,” I said, smiling at him. “Tonight feels special.”

As the lantern floated higher, we stood close, watching it disappear into the sky. The night was filled with light and color, and for once, everything felt right. The tension between us seemed to melt away, replaced by a simple, profound connection.

“I’ve missed this,” Lando said quietly, his hand brushing against mine. “Missed us.”

“Me too,” I replied, squeezing his hand gently. “But I’m glad we’re here now. It feels like a fresh start.”

We lingered a bit longer, taking in the sights and enjoying each other’s company. The festival was a perfect backdrop to our quiet reconnection, and as we finally said goodbye, I felt a renewed sense of hope for what the future might bring.

---