Chapter One

LEO

I could not believe what I just heard. In a moment I was out there at the garden and then back to the palace my dad just told me that weird thing.

"Are you serious?" I asked, but something in my mom's facial expression showed that it was serious, too serious.

"This is not a joke" my father said. "You are going to marry Victor II, prince of Luano and the next..." I didn't let him finish.

"I suppose to marry Lisa!"

"Lisa is dead" said Charles, the royal advisor.

"I know." How could they think I would forget that my first love was dead, it still hurt after all those years. "There is still Meredith, I know she is alive..."

My mom looked at my father. That gaze meant that she was really mad. I felt like she didn't agree with that ridiculous story as well.

"Meredith is too young..."

"No she isn't." My mom spoke for the first time since they sent a servant to bring me there. "She is the perfect wife, member of the royal family of Luano."

"She's not the next to the throne..." My dad put his hand over his face, noticeably tired. "Victor is."

"But she is a woman" My mom said at the same time I yelled: "Victor is a guy!"

"We can't afford to wait her getting old enough and, as I said, Victor is the next King of Luano."

"I don't care." At that point I started to believe that they might have been telling the truth. "I'm not marrying a guy, no way!"

The advisor sighed. I hated him since I was a little boy, but I started hating him even more when I saw that gaze: he was looking at my dad just like a father look to his son when he must do something really hard. What the hell was going on? I had so much to ask...

"You got to be kidding me!" I yelled to my dad with my finger pointing straight to Charles' chest. "Why is he here by the way?"

"He is our savior" something in my dad's voice sounded important, he got that talent to convince people, he was the king. "I am not asking you to understand. I know it is too much for you right now. But we have made our decision. You, prince Leo from Bandrovian, will marry your far cousin Victor II, the only one who can save our family right now."

First I was shocked, then really disgusted with those words. But the feeling that really made me get up and run way from those people was humiliation. When I passed through the double door and left the meeting room behind, the tears were already running down my face. I've never felt so humiliated in my whole life. I couldn't believe... just couldn't believe. When I was a kid I learnt the only thing that I suppose to aspire was the throne. I was the only child of King George and Queen Eddie, the next King of all Bandrovian and the Lord of the Special Army. I was important.

I lived in a palace, I spent all the summers in lakes and castles all over our territories, money was never a problem. Everybody had to do what I wanted. I grew up as a spoiled kid, always had in mind that I am the Prince, the one who really matters. At age of ten I met Lisa, who was already my fiancé. We would get marry someday in a big ceremony as my mom said. If I had a vision of a perfect life, it would just be mine.

And now I was running to my room as a kid again, despite my eighteen years old. For the first time I had nothing to do, no one to ask to help me. My father and my mother were there and they were the big ones. When I reached my room, I threw myself on the bed and stopped crying instantly. I couldn't act like a kid, otherwise they would win. I had to come out with a plan as soon as possible. They could take away my throne, my horses, and even my money, but I would never marry a guy.

VICTOR

"You can ask me anything but not this." I said. My smirk obviously would make the king mad. I loved that. "I am not gay".

"Aren't you learning nothing at the University? It's not related to sex." The king said. "I am not asking you. It's an order".

"Yes, your Majesty," I said in a grave voice. I watched him and my odd uncle leaving my room. That was easy, I thought. Of course I knew what was coming. Last night I met Lariza at her room and asked her the news of my father's administration. She always served tea and coffee, and she got the best ears in the castle. However that new was unbelievable. At first I thought that she was messing with me, but then I realized that she really meant that. I was going to marry Prince Leo of Bandrovian. I knew my father was arranging a marriage for me, but I would never imagine that my wife could be a guy. Or even such an important guy.

Luano wasn't that big, it was just a kingdom next to Bandrovian, but we were rich. Both kingdoms together under the eyes of God would be unstoppable. My father used to say that the perfect husband to my older sister Lisa would be Leo, but she died in a plan crash.

"But my younger sister is still alive..." I said to Lariza. Her eyes were so blue and they were gazing me. She was both frightened and in love with me.

"She is not... the next Queen, your Highness." She said.

Of course she wasn't. I was a smart guy, why didn't I realized what they were planning to do? My father would never give up the marriage agreement and the King of Bandrovian must have tried to find another important bridge to his son, once Meredith was only six. "So they chose me". I laughed.

It would be fun, me and Leo. He was just a spoiled kid, as every regular prince I've met. "And now he is my fiancé". I laughed more and more. Why was I laughing so much? I knew it would be hard and weird, but it was still fun.

"Why are you laughing... your Highness?" Lariza asked. She was just the help, she would never understand how weird and ridiculous could be a royal life.

"Because FINALLY something different happened in this boring castle..." I couldn't be more right.