chapter 1

CARA

The scent of rain lingered in the air, mingling with the sharp tang of fear. My heart pounded like a war drum as I sprinted up the worn stairs of the old building. The cold, damp air bit at my skin, but I didn't stop. I couldn't stop.

  “Cara, wait!” Alice's voice echoed through the empty corridors, filled with concern. Her plea was swallowed by the groaning of old wood beneath our feet, but I didn’t turn back.

  The shadows seemed to close in around me, tightening their grip as I forced myself forward, tears burning my eyes.“Just leave me alone!” I choked out, my voice raw and trembling. I didn’t care how broken I sounded, I just needed to escape this endless nightmare to find some sliver of peace.

  My park is a very big pack. It has many structures and investments to its name,one of these structures being this place, the servant quarters,a place that we the Omegas and lesser packmates call home.

  A building that has been left in the mercy of destruction by my alpha, but seeing that his labour, practically servants were increasing in number, decided to renovate the abandoned property.

  I ran blindly to my room, not caring about my worried friend running after me. I just needed some space after being treated like a remote-controlled pet, which I already was anyway after coming from the alpha office.

  I fumbled with the right key on the lock, but my shaking hands just can’t cooperate with me. But at last, the door opened, and I stumbled inside, locking the door behind me.

  Leaning against the door, I slid to the floor, gasping for breath, as though someone whose airway was blocked but was finally released. The tears that threatened to spill out when I was in the Alpha office gushed out like waterfall, blinding my vision.

  Holding my head, I tried to block out the tormenting memories.

  It all started this morning…

  ****

  (In the morning)

  I had just woken up from my sleep, dragging myself out of bed. After a quick, cold wash, I had stood in front of the cracked mirror hanging above the rusted sink, staring at the shadow of the girl I had become. With skin, pale and thin, and cracked mouth. I hissed in pain as I tried nursing my wounds I received recently.

  Numerous tending of my wounds and sometimes other of my fellow servants has made me a miniature moving hospital. I hissed in removing the bandages I applied to it the other day. Thankfully, it has joined its fellow mates to imprint a scar on my tender skin.

  The faded scars of other punishment I had received for years are still imprinted on my skin.I cringed as I recall the pain of the whip. I could still remember it as if it were today.

  The Bane Whip, as it was called, is a whip made for werewolves and dipped in wolfbane specifically so that the scars will resist the healing nature of us werewolves.

  It runs along my back down to the top of my shoulder. A constant reminder of my place in the pack.

  The alpha pack had so many of us that he got from wrecked and destroyed packs that were invaded by rogues. We work for him and his pack, and we are given a little portion of food and a roof to sleep under. To many of us, we see it as a chance of salvation because wolves without packs become rogues who roam the great woods.

  My hair, which was still wet from bathing, was folded up with a towel, but on normal days, it ran down the small of my back. Yes, I know you might wonder how ridiculous it might be, but that was how I was born. With deep hazel eyes to match and a lean athletic figure.