Chapter Two

The morning passed quietly. 

Roslyn knew she'd aced the trig test and english had been as boring for the girl as it always was. She wasn't even sure why she still took US history considering she'd lived through half of it, but at least she had Jasper Hale to share the misery with. They sat together and if Mr. Hill noticed that they never paid attention, he never commented on it. 

"You're awfully quiet this morning, Roslyn." Jasper's southern accent broke through the fog in Roslyn's mind and she snapped her head up to look at him. 

She gave him a wry smile before answering. "Not quiet, Jasper. Pensive."

"And what could possibly make a pretty thing like you think so much you stop talking?" The accent made his words have little affect on her; he'd always talked to her like that, it was one of his old habits from the war. The Civil War, that is. 

Jasper was only a few decades older than Roslyn, but he'd kept his Texan accent throughout the years. Roslyn, on the other hand, had gone through more accents than she could count as a hunter trying to fit in through the changing times and places. Once she'd decided to stop hiding, she'd settled on a faint mid-Atlantic. Her favorite had been a full Hollywood trans-Atlantic, but that made people ask too many questions. Regardless, both Jasper and Roslyn had nasty habits from the nineteenth century that they did their best to curb.

"You really wanna know?" He nodded, his golden eyes staring into her violet ones. "There was an infestation of demons out in Seattle that I had difficulty sniffing out."

"Was?"

"As in I drained some of them and exorcized the rest."

Jasper nodded, turning his attention back to the front of the class. "At least you got a feed out of it."

Roslyn smiled sidelong at him. "My thoughts exactly."

It wasn't long after that the bell rang and Roslyn found Koda waiting for her in the hall. He wrapped an arm around her shoulder, tucking her into his side as he walked her to gym.

"I'll have your coffee waiting for you after class." He didn't sound happy to have lost their bet, but Roslyn grinned at the thought.

"Best part is, Raya worked herself into a frenzy before class started and it took her eight whole minutes before she even started it. She was still the second one done."

"After you?"

"Naturally."

Koda let out a laugh, squeezing Roslyn's shoulders. They had reached the gym, but he didn't let her go, turning her around and letting her rest against the wall instead.

"My little genius."

Roslyn couldn't tell him that she'd taken trigonometry no less than twelve times since deciding to go to school in the 80s. She let him think that she was just his little genius, settling for a lie instead of a truth that would make him leave.

The first bell rang and they both glared at the bell above them, but Koda had to make it across campus and Roslyn had to change for gym.

"See you at lunch?" Roslyn asked, resting her head against the wall as she looked up at Koda.

Edward and Alice Cullen passed, the latter waiting for Roslyn outside the girl's changing room with a grin.

"With your coffee." Koda promised. He leaned down to kiss her before sprinting across campus.

Alice squealed as Roslyn reached her, the sound loud enough to make any vampire in a three mile radius cringe.

"You two are so cute!"