Sweet hometown

Annabelle

I’ve always lived in Maplewood, never straying far from my roots. After all these years, the ranch feels like home, especially with my four-year-old daughter, Elle, by my side. We’ve spent countless days here, surrounded by family and the comforting rhythm of ranch life.

I work as a veterinarian at my father’s ranch, part of our family business. Each morning, I wake up to the sounds of animals and the fresh scent of hay, a routine that grounds me. My parents are always nearby, lending a hand with both the ranch and raising Elle.

As I pull into the gravel driveway, I glance back at Elle, peacefully asleep in her car seat. I take a deep breath, savoring the familiar sights—the sprawling fields and the barn that holds so many memories.

“Hi, Mom!” I call as I step inside, my heart swelling at the sight of my mother. The warmth of her embrace is exactly what I need.

“Hi, sweetie!” she replies, wrapping her arms around me tightly. I’ve missed these moments more than I can express.

Elle stirs and suddenly bolts toward her grandma. “Hi, Nana! I missed you so much!” She leaps into my mom’s arms, her laughter filling the air.

“Settle down, you little monkey! Give Nana some space,” my mom laughs, her eyes sparkling with joy as she holds both of us.

As I watch their reunion, I feel a rush of gratitude for this life we’ve built together. But beneath the surface, a sense of uncertainty lingers. I’ve kept my past hidden from my family, the details of Elle’s father still unspoken. I know I need to face those truths eventually, but for now, I’m content to focus on the present—on the love that surrounds us at the ranch.