Ms. Runghan

I asked if Ms. Runghan was bald because she used to love it when we braided her hair. I felt like her hair played a big part in my life, which sounds weird, but I used to braid it all the time. 

When I was in kindergarten, I was painfully shy. I didn't talk to anyone, and no one talked to me. I think it was partially because I was socially awkward and would freeze out anytime someone would even talk to me.  

And, sure, I hated that and felt lonely most of the time, but I couldn't bring myself to talk to anyone, except Ms. Runghan. She was the sweetest person in the world; she would give me these odd off-brand Jolly Ranchers and let me braid her hair, which was long—like Rapunzel long, but the only difference was that she was a redhead.

I once asked her why she kept her hair so long, and she said it was because her hair held memories that she didn't want to cut. But then I overheard a teacher say she never cut her hair because it was the last haircut her mom gave her before she died. I felt bad for her so I begged my mom to get her a small box of chocolate from Dollaramma. And when I gave it to her she smiled and laughed a little. "What's this for?"

"I heard about your mom," I said sadly, giving her a sympathetic look. 

Her smile died a little as she took the chocolate. "Don't worry darling, and thank you for the chocolate."

I smiled as I gave her a small hug.  

Ms. Runghan deserved the world. She was so sweet and funny, and I will always hold a place in my heart for her. Even if she was sometimes a bit odd (not in a creepy way, just in a "what's your favorite sock color?" way), she had a heart of gold.

(Yeah, she's dead.)