Chapter 104 - Smallpox Attacks

"Your Highness praises me too much. This is the Emperor's blessing; I am merely under heaven's protection," Bai Jingxian replied with a slight humph. You all may wish for it, but you can't have it.

And even if you want to bear a son, you'll have to get my permission first. Of course, the Empress was an exception—a regrettable one at that.

Sigh, Bai Jingxian thought, she needed to be more cautious in the future.

Li Changzai, watching the exchange between the two, felt a surge of satisfaction. How delightful it was to see them spar with words.

"I wonder if I will be as fortunate as Her Highness, He Fangyi. I don't dare ask for three, but even one would make me content," Li Changzai added, her words dripping with envy.

That statement! How were those who had only given birth to princesses supposed to feel?

Dream on if you want to have a son, Bai Jingxian cursed inwardly.

But just wait, once my three sons grow older, I'll give birth to two more. She didn't believe that with so many sons, anyone could outdo her in jealousy.

In the end, both Liang Fei and Li Changzai were driven away by Bai Jingxian's pointed remarks.

As soon as they left, Bai Jingxian swiftly closed the palace doors. It was best to maintain peace and quiet. None of these women in the harem were worth befriending or scheming with. The less contact, the better.

However, it wasn't like she could just dismiss them with a wave of her hand and be done with it. Soon enough, a major event occurred in the palace, one that directly threatened Bai Jingxian and her three children.

"What did you say?" Bai Jingxian asked, alarmed.

Ever since the Emperor had reprimanded the Empress, she had withdrawn into the Kunning Palace to focus on raising her children. As a result, the management of the harem had slackened, allowing someone with ulterior motives to take advantage.

"Your Highness, the third prince has contracted smallpox, and the Empress has already ordered the palace to be sealed. His Majesty has decreed that all imperial physicians must examine the noblewomen in the palace," Wang Momo reported anxiously, awaiting Bai Jingxian's orders.

Smallpox—everyone knew that it could be deadly. Years ago, a smallpox outbreak wiped out an entire county, prompting the previous emperor to issue a self-critical edict. That showed how terrifying the disease was.

Now that smallpox had entered the palace, it was a grave situation.

Bai Jingxian was well aware that in ancient times, smallpox was almost a death sentence. Even though she wasn't afraid of dying herself—having already faced death once—she couldn't bear to lose her three children.

"Momo, quickly, go to the imperial kitchen and get salt and vinegar. Then head to the Imperial Medical Academy for some herbal medicine, especially isatis root. Also, bring back as much lime as possible," Bai Jingxian instructed. She could only recall what limited knowledge she had about disease prevention and use it to protect her household.

If this disease spreads, the entire palace could be wiped out.

As she had expected, news of smallpox in Changchun Palace spread rapidly, and those with means and knowledge had already started making preparations.

Bai Jingxian couldn't fall behind; she had to move quickly. Wang Momo didn't fully understand her instructions but promptly organized the servants to carry them out. The items Bai Jingxian requested weren't particularly precious, and the palace had ample supplies of them.