Chapter 114

The Empress looked at the two who entered, especially at the disheveled Wen Xiuyi, her brows furrowing in concern. "What happened?"

Bai Jingxian was speechless; she didn't believe the Empress could be unaware of the commotion outside her palace. If she wanted to play dumb, Bai Jingxian wasn't going to cooperate.

"Your Majesty, you summoned us here precisely because you knew about the disturbance outside. Isn't it a bit theatrical for you to ask now?"

The Empress didn't expect Bai Jingxian to speak to her like this.

"Impudent," the Empress shot back, glaring. "Don't forget your status when speaking to me."

Bai Jingxian wouldn't be intimidated, "Status? As a Jieyu, I was provoked and insulted at the gates of Kunning Palace. I don't believe the Empress was unaware of it; what is the purpose of your question now?"

She wasn't afraid to confront her. The Empress, no matter how powerful, couldn't just kill her.

The Empress regretted her earlier decisions; she shouldn't have entertained such thoughts, or she wouldn't have raised such a wolf.

"Since Your Majesty wants to know, I'll tell you," Bai Jingxian said, recounting Wen Xiuyi's actions. "Now, how will you deal with this?"

The Empress was taken aback by Bai Jingxian's audacity. "It was just some playful banter between sisters. Don't take it too seriously with a Jieyu. I can punish Wen Xiuyi with three months of house arrest, would that be acceptable?"

Though it was a question, her proposed punishment was non-negotiable.

Wen Xiuyi glanced at the Empress, surprised she was on her side. An idea flashed in her mind, and she couldn't help but smile. A strong hatred filled her eyes as she silently chewed on the name Bai Jingxian.

"Your Majesty, don't forget the Emperor's words. If you cannot handle this matter fairly, I'll have no choice but to report it to the Emperor and seek justice from him." Bai Jingxian was not about to give in to her wishes.

Did she really think she was easy to bully? Didn't she realize Bai Jingxian was still alive and had some power?

"You..." The Empress never expected to be so publicly humiliated.

"But isn't your intention to ruin Wen Xiuyi with fifty slaps? Don't forget, her father is the head of the civil officials in our Da Yue."

The Empress's words were unclear; whether they were a hint or pressure, she calmly took a sip of her tea after speaking.

"So what? The law is the same for the Emperor and commoners alike. Your Majesty seems to have forgotten the royal family's teachings." 

The Empress miscalculated; Bai Jingxian was not afraid of family connections.

The Empress was furious again. "Alright, fine! I can't control you, can I?" This was the third time she had lost her temper.

"Because of your disrespect towards the Empress, kneel for two hours. As for Wen Xiuyi's disrespect towards a higher-ranking consort, she'll receive ten slaps. Take her away and carry out the punishment."

With that, the Empress stood up and left without looking back at Wen Xiuyi, who was kneeling on the ground.

Bai Jingxian wouldn't accept the punishment passively, but with her status, she gave Wang Momo a glance before walking outside the palace.

The palace attendants stopped her, saying, "Please come this way, Jieyu." They led her to a garden in Kunning Palace, "This place faces the Empress's chambers, so you can kneel here. That way, the Empress can see you."