Chapter 1 - Realization

Aiden's POV

I will not let what family I have left die. I won't let these damn things kill anyone else! Dad was too much to lose.. he was my best friend.. always there to help and nothing less. But now isn't the time to reminisce.

The incoming herd consisted of nearly 40 or 50 walking corpses, which is much more than I've ever taken on alone armed only with my dual swords. I don't even have anyone to accompany me. Then again, this was only supposed to be a quick run for ammunition and the town we've inhabited has been almost untouched since the 2 months we arrived. The gurgles and growls are now all around me. Seeing no point in it anymore, I stop running and stand my ground, wielding my dual swords.

I glance around the town that I've come to temporarily call home from the two lane road I've been travelling. I turn my head to the right without losing awareness of the situation at hand. I see the old gas station housing 3 visible walkers. My eyes don't stay for long as I notice a portion of the herd making it's way toward me. The herd contained 17.

"...Shit" I whisper to myself. If I have to chose between 17, 3, or all 20 walkers plus the ones snarling behind the treeline and lurking around the buildings, 3 wins. Pursing my lips, I dart for the gas station. I spread my arms with my swords and swing them, succeeding in beheading 2 of the undead. The 17 others are closing in along with 8 shambling out of the nearby woods. I let out an utterly useless sigh and head for the glass doors.

The doors are locked, confirming my bad luck streak of the day. I begin to suffer from a headache because of the gas leaking out of one of the pumps. I look down, acknowledging my failure and tighten the grip on my swords. As I'm staring at the ground, seemingly hopeless, I notice that one of the two walkers that have been beheaded had some cigarettes and a lighter.

A lighter.

I fend off the walkers around the one particular corpse and desperately reach for the lighter. I sheath one of the swords and finally attain a grip on the lighter with the other. I flick several times before a flame finally appears and I throw it on the ground.

Knowing this may be my only chance to return to Karmen and Kim, I start to run toward the doctor's house while the army of undead are distracted by the fire show.

Reminiscing continues as I slow my pace to catch my breath, slicing the occasional walker's head off.

Dad... he died.. he was disabled by a bullet to the leg from an encounter we had 2 weeks after shit hit the fan. We were looking for shelter. Our little family stumbled upon a local grocery store that seemed formidable. Me and Kimberly took watch armed with an AK and a 30-06. We didn't know there would be any humans for miles. But it seems there were humans and sick ones too. They sought out to cut Dad and Karmen up and feed them to their infected "family." They fired from atop a neighboring cell tower. I remember he took that bullet for Karmen. I remember I just sat there with my jaw dropped and didn't do anything but stare.

I finally approach the semi-mansion that my sisters and I have taken refuge in. 4 stories high with 7 beds 5 baths and 2 garages that housed a Ferrari and a jacked up Ford Raptor.

I aquire the front door key from the inside of my boot and knock 4 times and then 2 2 seconds after to assure them it's me and unlock the door.

"Are you good for something or did you come empty handed?" Kimberly asked in her unique cocky diva voice, which is quite intimidating at times.

"Unlike some people.." I motion to Kimberly, "I can survive. There was a good sized herd with maybe 50 walkers. I got away with plenty of cover."

Karmen comes down before Kim can say anything smart ass to me as a reply.

"We have company about a half of a mile away." Karmen says with a worrying look on her face.

"Kar, it's nothing we can't take." Kim says with an eye roll as she reaches for the M249 I had scavenged from a former lieutenant of the US army. I grab her wrist and throw it away from the weapon.

"This is why you don't lead us. You think you can go out and shoot everything like you have unlimited ammo and your target can't kill you with one bite." I state expecting to hear some foul language come from Kim's arrogant mouth. But Karmen intercepts.

"This is serious. It isn't just any group of walkers or survivors. These people... they're armed out the ass and could take us out even if we did have unlimited ammo." Karmen purses her lips and her face goes pale.

I creep upstairs heading to the attic window that we use as a look out. When I get there, I understand what Karmen is talking about... we are in some serious danger..

Mind telling me what ya think? This is my first time ever writing a book. Feedback is appreciated good or bad:)