16. Reveluv Dos

The sun was barely peeking over the horizon when Y/n's phone buzzed insistently on his bedside table. Groggy but instinctively reaching for the device, he squinted at the screen to see Minji's name flashing.

"Y/n, I need to talk to you," the text read, followed by an urgent "call me."

As he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, a knot of worry tightened in his chest. Minji, Red Velvet's manager, was known for her unflappable demeanour. For her to reach out this early—and so urgently—something serious must be up.

"Hey, Minji-noona, what's up?" Y/n answered, trying to sound more awake than he felt.

"Y/n, I'm really sorry to bother you at this hour, but I'm not feeling well," Minji's voice was frail, betraying her usual strong-willed tone. "I've been hit with the flu and... well, it's bad. I don't think I can manage Red Velvet today."

Y/n's heart sank. Managing one group was already a herculean task; managing two was practically an Olympic event. But he remembered the countless times Minji had helped him out during his early days—those late-night calls, the advice, the reassurances. It was his turn to return the favour.

"Don't worry about it, noona. I've got you covered," Y/n said, trying to sound reassuring. "I'll handle Red Velvet today. Just sleep or something."

"I feel terrible asking this of you," Minji replied, her voice a mix of guilt and gratitude.

"It's not a big deal," Y/n said, a smile creeping onto his face despite the early hour. "You've done so much for me. It's time I pay that debt back."

"..this kid." Minji felt like sobbing, especially under the weather.

"...but please buy me boba when you feel better."

"Aish-"

-

The first order of business was to coordinate with his own group, aespa. Y/n stumbled into the dorm's common room, where Karina was lounging on the couch, scrolling through her phone. The sight of her sprawled in such comfort contrasted sharply with the whirlwind Y/n was about to dive into.

"Rina-ya," he began, his voice a mix of urgency and exhaustion. "We've got a bit of a situation. Minji's sick, so I'm going to be handling Red Velvet's schedule today. I need you and the others to be extra flexible with your time."

"I'll fill you in on the details as we go," Y/n said, taking a deep breath. "First things first, I need to make sure everything's running smoothly for Red Velvet. Then I'll jump back to aespa's schedule. We might be a bit all over the place today, but we'll manage."

With a nod, Karina stood up and joined Y/n as he set up his makeshift command centre (aka. The chair and the man himself) at the kitchen table. The next few hours were a whirlwind of phone calls, schedule adjustments, and last-minute changes. The pressure was palpable, but Y/n's determination was even stronger.

By early afternoon, aespa's schedule was slightly rearranged to accommodate Red Velvet's urgent needs. Y/n had managed to pull off the juggling act with impressive finesse, and Karina was already offering a steady stream of support.

"You're doing great, Y/n," Karina said, handing him a cup of coffee. "I know this isn't easy, but you're handling it like a pro."

"Thanks, Karina," Y/n replied, taking a grateful sip. "I just hope Minji-noona is resting up and feeling better soon."

As the afternoon approached, it was time for Y/n to meet Red Velvet and break the news to them. He arrived at their rehearsal studio, his heart pounding slightly.

It wasn't just the weight of managing two groups that was heavy—it was also the potential for awkwardness and teasing despite the company dinner months ago, especially with his not-so-secret favourite being Seulgi.