Prologue

Love is not a lie. You're letting your pain define love. It's about the risks of joy and ending up with pain, but it's still worth it. Maybe you just haven't found the right search of how love feels yet.

I read as I felt baffled about it, It was a crisp white envelope with a note inside it, the note talks about philosophical love topic. A strange burning arrow struck my heart. My heart pounded with confusion lingering on me. My grip tightened on the envelope I was holding. It made the perfect white paper crumpled a bit.

"Who's this?" I whispered to myself as my index finger traced the delicate script, I smudge the paper using my thumb, the ink is still wet, and the smudge left a testament of it's urgency to make. I was drowned with continuous wonders in my mind, staring at the white note I was holding. Sinasadya ba ito?

The paper felt like a sandpaper against my fingertips, roughly. I crumpled it tighter, the perfect crisp white turned into a ball of frustration and confusion. Anger pierced through me, why did people insist in changing my perspective? Why did the hell anyone care to write this, to oppose my opinion?

A strange feeling of yearning twisted my gut, an opposing feeling against my anger. A sense of genuinely longing. Why could they describe the word love like it's perfect and so blissful? When it only brought pain? It only had brought me to a brink of despair and loneliness. I questioned everything, my life, my worth. Love only shattered my heart with a jagged knife, leaving an empty bleeding wound.

This is ridiculous, my skepticism won against me as I sarcastically chuckled. This person who sent this is maybe thinking that he or she will change my personal perspective about how love itself seems. But no, it only made me think even more that love is stupid and cliche.

The joy it brings to you is only temporary, by the time passes, love questions your worth. And how far you could go beyond for it. Love ignites on your heart that the sacrifices will be worth it, when you'll just end up sobbing about it, being worthless and empty.

It's a cruel cycle, sobs, heartbreaks, pain, what an endless life, it's just a cruel illusion who makes you think that joy comes after pain. When it goes the other way. Love is a lie, and no one can change my mind about it.

"Oh, Anya? Ginagawa mo diyan?"  Emphaya asked as she carefully slammed her locker beside me. She stared at me with her astonished face as her gaze went down in what I was holding.

"Naks, love letter?" She mockingly asked as she gave me a sarcastic look.

"No, but a note. You know Emphaya? Fuck off, cause this isn't a note but a trash." I remarked as rage pulsed through me, and I aggressively slammed the note into the trashcan. The hallway seemed to shrink around me, along with the fluorescent lights, I pressed my back against the wall and turned into Emphaya with a cynical look.

"Sus, napaka bitter mo naman miss." Emphaya shrugged off as she went closer to the trashcan and seemingly picked it up. Her forehead continuously ceases as she's unraveling the paper again.

"Love is not a lie. You're letting your pain define love?" She read the first two sentences out loud as her eyes landed on my irritated face.

"Oh, kaya naman pala napagbuntungan, kasi natamaan." She mocked. She never failed to provoke me huh? I rolled my eyes on her as she gave me a teaseful grin.

"Anyways, pinapatawag ka raw ni sir Xelvian. Kakausapin ka raw niya, about ata sa pag absent mo palagi sa classes niya." She changed the topic as she announced the urgency of meeting sir Xevan. I felt how my heart pounded again, a mixture of nervousness and excitement lingered on my face with radiance.

"Halata ka bes, pet peeve mo ba si sir?" She laughed as she poke my side.

"No? What the hell, Emph? Isa kang dakilang gago." I replied defensively as I looked away.

I secretly despise professor Xelvian, yet why my heart tells that he's the one who ignited a spark of hope in my heart? He's the man who challenged my cynicism. He's a threatening bomb who can change my cynical perspective. I'm afraid I'll listen.

The bell rang, my eyes are drawn to the classroom door.  Professor Xelvian’s office was just down the hall. I took a deep breath, my heart is pounding in rhythm. I closed my fist harshly, and told myself. I can't avoid him forever. I will listen to his words of wisdom, and turn a blind ear.

I walked towards his office's door as I gathered the ember of burning dedication and strength in my heart. A small part of me hoped that this encounter would be different. Yet my mind, is a stubborn, locked door, who kept refusing to be opened. My heart sealed with a keyless padlock that lay buried in the quicksand, that you would sunk, trying to take it. I was swallowed with the weight of my past.

I was helpless, but still a spark of hope is inside me. Maybe, maybe just, this time. My wounded heart would try to listen.