16 : behind the blankets

CHAPTER SIXTEEN ; JAEYUN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN ; JAEYUN... AM I LIKABLE TO YOU?

 AM I LIKABLE TO YOU?

"No."

"Mom–"

"Ask your father!" She huffed, hands on her hips. Sowon looked to her Dad for assistance, but just as he watched in horror and saw his youngest daughter's plea, he turned back to the stove, secretly adding more noodles to the pot for their guest. Jaeyun remained outside, holding the ice skates and the food and awaiting Sowon's call. Her mother swung around, pointing at her husband. "Are you going to let this random boy sleep?! What are you both anyway, Sowon!?"

"Friends!" She exclaimed, confirming it. "We're friends, Mom. You know that I've never dated a boy in my life."

"You–"

"Come on, honey," Her dad interrupted, massaging his wife's shoulders. "It's storming outside, and the boy doesn't have a car. He can sleep on the couch and stay for dinner. Haven't you always trusted your daughter's judgment? And it's the first time she's socialized in weeks! Let's be lenient, okay?"

"I agree. Mom, he personally came to find me," That didn't put out the fire. Instead, her mother glared, getting ready to speak. "Mom! Mom! Really, he's a good person. I promise you he won't–"

"Ryu Sowon!" Her sister roared, slamming the door open. Jaeyun followed in, cowering at Sohee's call. Their mother and father peaked around the older girl's shoulder, suddenly enamored by the handsome-looking eighteen-year-old. "Jaeyun's been waiting outside for so long. Why didn't you let him in?"

"I was just pleading with Mom and Dad to let him stay!" Sohee's jaw dropped, snapping her head back at him. The water droplets fell to their wooden floor, causing Mrs. Ryu to take action. She quickly grabbed a towel from their bathroom and jogged toward him, handing it to him. "Mom, what–"

"Hello. I'm Missus Ryu, Sowon and Sohee's mother. That's my husband back there," With their father's eyes sparkling, he waved slowly. "Do you have a girlfriend?"

"Mom!" Sowon called, getting off her knees. She sprinted toward Jaeyun and put a protective arm in front of him, taking the towel out of her hands. "Shouldn't you be helping Dad cook? No, wait–does that mean he can stay over?"