Behind Closed Doors"

"Behind Closed Doors"

Sophie Beaumont was used to getting what she wanted. Born into one of the wealthiest families in the city, she had power, influence, and more opportunities than most could imagine. But none of that stopped her from wanting to build something of her own. She was determined to step out from her family's shadow and make a name for herself, which led her to James Ashford-the enigmatic CEO of Ashford Enterprises, a self-made billionaire who commanded respect from everyone around him.

Sophie wasn't there just to admire him from a distance, though. She wanted to pitch her new luxury fashion line, and she knew Ashford Enterprises had the global reach and connections to make it a success. But James was known to be a hard man to impress, and even harder to win over.

The meeting had been scheduled for weeks, and Sophie had prepared meticulously. The moment she stepped into his sleek, modern office, with its floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the city skyline, she felt the air shift. James sat behind his desk, his sharp blue eyes scanning her as she walked toward him, her confidence unwavering.

"Ms. Beaumont," he said, his voice low and smooth. "I've heard quite a bit about you."

Sophie smiled, extending her hand. "I hope it's all good things."

James stood, towering over her as he shook her hand. "Mostly. But I prefer to make my own judgments."

Their meeting began formally enough. Sophie laid out her plans, detailing the vision for her fashion line and the market strategy. She knew she was nailing every point, but James remained silent, his gaze fixed on her, making her heart race in a way she hadn't expected.

As the conversation shifted from business to more personal matters, Sophie found herself drawn to him-his confidence, his control over the room, and the way he never revealed too much. It wasn't long before the tension between them became palpable, the professional atmosphere giving way to something more.

James leaned back in his chair, studying her. "You're different from the others who come to me with ideas. You're not just looking for money. You want control, don't you?"

Sophie met his gaze, unflinching. "I want to build something for myself. And yes, I want control. I don't want to be in anyone's shadow."

A slow, approving smile spread across his face. "I like that."

The air between them crackled with unspoken attraction. She could sense it; the subtle shift in the way he looked at her, no longer just as a potential business partner, but as something more. She had spent her life around powerful men, but James was different. He wasn't intimidated by her wealth or her name.

As the meeting wrapped up, James stood and walked around the desk, closing the distance between them. "I'll have my team draft a contract," he said, his voice soft but commanding. "But let's be clear-I don't mix business with pleasure."

Sophie tilted her head, a smile playing at the corners of her lips. "Who said anything about pleasure?"

For a moment, the room was silent, tension hanging in the air like a storm about to break. Then, without warning, James reached out, brushing a strand of hair from her face. His touch was electric, sending a shiver down her spine.

"Sophie," he said quietly, his voice filled with both warning and desire, "I don't play games."

"Neither do I," she whispered, stepping closer, her breath mingling with his.

In that moment, the world outside the office disappeared. The power they both exuded in the boardroom shifted into something more primal, more intimate. They were both used to being in control, but now they stood on the edge of something neither could fully command.