Chapter 1: Figure in the Fire

"Ready, Midnight?" I throw my leg over the saddle of the black horse. A huff was snorted through her nostrils while stomping her hooves. "Let's go." I snap the rein. We scurry into the woods, away from the small town of SilverWater in the dust. There were stories of worshipers on the outskirts of this town that are known to dance around the fire in the dead of night. Don't forget screeches and wicked laughter, of course. "Brujas." The people of the town scolded them. They casted a curses on whoever crosses their paths. I prepared to see if this was true. Yes, I was warned, but, fear was not in my blood.

Carefully, I steered Midnight into the deep, thick, forest. We reached a certain point where she could no longer pass. I was forced to go on foot. I hopped off, tie the horse to a branch, and walk towards the rushing river. Thankfully, I had a small later in handy so I don't make a wrong step. I drag the match across the match and light up the lantern. One by one, I stepped on a rock maintaining my balance by extending my arms. I jump to the other side. I continue walking with gentle steps, avoiding any branches or stones; I try my best not to make a sound. I began hearing eerie noises.

"More fire, more fire!" A wicked laughter erupts through the raven-black sky. I listen, following the noises as they become louder and darker.

There they are. Dressed in ragged coal-black, thin, clothes. Hair tangled in knots with a mixture of white and gray. Skin with never ending wrinkles, and nails that were black with dirt. I use my stealth skill, and climb up the nearest tree. I watch every wicked movement they make along with every unknown word they chant. I should be frightened by the sight, yet, I felt an urge to kill.

"Oh, great prince," They simultaneously get down on their bare knees, "please grant us youth. Make us beautiful once again." The three women bow down and praise whatever was in the fire. Nothing was in it. Then what the hell are they talking to? I tried getting the best view of what was inside without making the trees rustle too much. However, the gusts of wind being to pick up, circling the area and lifting leaves and debris. I clutch my cape and hold onto the tree. The gust blows against the fire, then settles.

Suddenly, a male figure unveiled and was visible to all. "There is a price with youth, one that you must pay. Get me the necessities, and I will grant your wish."