Chapter 5: Testing Waters

The days following their beach trip felt like a whirlwind of excitement. Dustin and Catarina embraced their new relationship, spending more time together than ever. Every moment spent with her deepened his affection, and he cherished the way their laughter echoed in the air, the way her smile lit up his world. However, with the sweetness of new love came a subtle tension that lingered beneath the surface.

Catarina had become increasingly aware of how their friends perceived them. Each time they hung out with the group, she felt the weight of their gaze upon her, the scrutinizing whispers that would flicker in and out of her awareness. Dustin noticed her unease but didn't know how to address it without amplifying her worries.

One evening, they found themselves in the local library, huddled together at a study table. The scent of old books filled the air, mingling with the soft hum of students around them. Dustin watched as Catarina flipped through her notes, her brow furrowed in concentration.

"Hey," he said softly, reaching over to nudge her arm. "You okay?"

Catarina looked up, her expression a mix of determination and anxiety. "Yeah, just studying. I've got finals coming up, remember?"

"Of course," he said, trying to keep the mood light. "But we can take a break, you know. We've been at this for hours."

She hesitated, biting her lip. "I just need to focus. I want to make sure I do well."

Dustin nodded, respecting her need to concentrate. But he couldn't shake the feeling that something was bothering her. "You know I'm here for you, right? If you need help studying or just a break, I'm your guy."

Catarina smiled, her eyes softening. "I know, and I appreciate it. You're always so supportive."

As the hours passed, they continued to study, but Dustin felt a growing urge to break through Catarina's mental barrier. He wanted to remind her that they were in this together, not just as friends, but as partners navigating their way through the challenges of life.

Later that week, while hanging out at their usual café, Dustin decided it was time to bring up the elephant in the room. After their friends left the table, he turned to Catarina, his expression serious.

"Can we talk?" he asked, leaning in closer.

"Sure," she replied, her curiosity piqued.

"I've noticed you seem a bit... distant lately," he said, choosing his words carefully. "Is it about our friends? I get the feeling you're worried about how they see us."

Catarina's shoulders tensed, and she looked down at her hands. "I guess I am," she admitted quietly. "I don't want them to think we're weird or that we're only together because we're trying to be something we're not."

"Catarina, we've been friends for so long. They know us," Dustin said, reaching for her hand. "If they have questions or concerns, they'll talk to us. But we can't let that affect how we feel about each other."

"Easier said than done," she murmured, glancing away.

"I know. But we can't let other people's opinions dictate our relationship," he said firmly. "We're doing this for us, not for anyone else."

Catarina met his gaze, and for a moment, they locked eyes, both feeling the weight of unspoken fears. "You're right. I just wish it didn't feel so complicated."

"It doesn't have to be," he assured her. "Let's focus on what we want, on how we feel. Everything else will fall into place."

With a small smile, Catarina squeezed his hand. "Okay, let's promise to keep communicating. If something's bothering either of us, we'll talk it out."