Prologue

John and Amelia's first visit to the adoption agency felt like the beginning of a dream they had almost given up on. After years of failed attempts to start a family of their own, they had finally decided to adopt. As they walked through the long corridor lined with portraits of smiling children, Amelia squeezed John's hand nervously.

"Do you think we're ready for this?" she whispered, her voice barely audible.

John gave her a reassuring smile. "We've been ready for a long time," he said softly. "We'll know the right one when we see them."

The adoption coordinator, Ms. Whitmore, was a tall woman with a warm smile and gentle voice. She greeted them warmly and led them to a room where several children were gathered, playing or reading. As they entered, a little girl sitting near the window immediately caught Amelia's eye.

She was about ten years old, with long blond hair tied into a neat braid and bright emerald-green eyes that seemed to light up the room. She sat quietly, reading a book, her small frame nearly engulfed by the oversized chair. There was a serene quality about her that set her apart from the other children, who were laughing and chatting animatedly.

"Who's that?" Amelia asked, unable to look away from the girl.

Ms. Whitmore's smile widened. "That's Marie," she said. "She's been with us for a few years now. Very bright girl—smart, polite, and well-behaved. She's one of our best."

Amelia took a step closer, drawn by an inexplicable connection. "Do you think we could speak to her?"

"Of course." Ms. Whitmore gestured for Marie to come over.

Marie set down her book and approached them with a shy but radiant smile. "Hello," she said, her voice sweet and clear. "I'm Marie."

Amelia crouched to her level, meeting the girl's eyes. "Hi, Marie. I'm Amelia, and this is John." She glanced up at her husband, who was standing beside her, his gaze fixed on the little girl.

Marie tilted her head slightly, her expression innocent and curious. "Are you here to adopt someone?" she asked, her tone genuine yet with a faint touch of hope.

"We are," John replied, his voice softening. "We're looking for a special girl to join our family."

The way Marie's eyes lit up was almost imperceptible, but Amelia noticed it. She seemed to hesitate for just a moment before speaking again, as if carefully weighing her words.

"I think you'd make wonderful parents," Marie said, her tone both thoughtful and sincere. "Whoever you choose will be very lucky."

There was something about the way she spoke—too mature for her age, yet not in a forced way. It was as if she knew exactly how to say the right thing to make them remember her. Amelia exchanged a quick glance with John, and she could see that he was as enchanted by the girl as she was.

As the visit continued, they spent more time talking to Marie, asking about her favorite hobbies and school subjects. She answered with a poise and grace that seemed far beyond her years, speaking passionately about her love of reading, animals, and science experiments. The more they learned about her, the more convinced they became that she was the one.

After a few weeks of background checks and paperwork, the adoption was finalized. John and Amelia were both nervous and excited when the day finally arrived to take Marie home. As they stood at the entrance of the orphanage, waiting for her to come out with her small suitcase, Amelia's heart fluttered with a mix of joy and anxiety.

Marie emerged from the building, carrying a worn brown suitcase that looked like it had seen better days. She wore a pale pink dress and a matching cardigan, her hair neatly brushed and tied back with a ribbon. Her emerald eyes scanned the scene, landing on John and Amelia. She approached them with that same bright smile, and Amelia rushed forward to embrace her.