Back When Fear Was Known By None

You think the title is wrong? That fear has been known since the beginning of time? Oh, my friend, you are dearly mistaken! There once was a time, centuries and centuries ago, when the first civilizations roamed the earth with no fear of what may come. There was no caution, the term 'Looks like you've seen a ghost.' meant absolutely nothing. People simply chose to wander in curiosity, but curiosity killed the cat. There is a reason to why fear is so important to a persons survival. A way to keep them safe from the harm of what may one day come after them when they throw caution to the wind."What is so dangerous that fear must pour ice water in our veins to make our blood run cold?" you ask me. The answer is simple. Me.

Long ago when the first people walked the Earth, it was a feast for my kind. The dumb mortals would walk right into our grasps thinking nothing was going to happen. Then fear came along. Most people despise fear for the feelings they receive when he comes, but in reality you owe your lives to him. You can't imagine in your small human mind how many times fear had kept you safe from us. How many times it stopped you from entering a dark room when you were young because you thought that monsters would come out of the dark to get you. Back when you were young, fear allowed you to know what we were, but when you grew and became more reckless he took it from you so you wouldn't do something you'd regret. But every time you stopped to turn on the light before you entered a room we would have to quickly slink back into the darkness of your closest and under your bed to avoid detection. Because if you saw us, it would be the end. Fear has kept you safe from us, but one day we will get you. One day you will forget your fear and enter the unknown. Then fear can only watch as we descend upon you and feast hungrily, for we have not been fed for years. Fear, the one who had kept you safe, would have to see his failure and look into the dying eyes of the ones he was meant to protect. Because as humans grow more curious, fear becomes weaker.

Don't let the fact that I am telling you this tale make you think I am your friend, because I am not. I am a monster of the night. And the only reason I have not pounced yet is because I must lure you in first.