Ain't Nothing But A Color

David Shep and Nichole Striker had known each other since 9th grade year. They enjoyed each other’s company; they texted each other everyday without fail. They only had two classes together a day. Their 11th grade year they started dating. Now their in 12th grade and they were still growing strong. Many people say that David and Nichole make such a cute couple, but some people say they aren’t compatible because well… David is white and Nicole is well… black. Race has never been an issue between them until now.

            “Hey Nichole, how was your morning so far?”  David question as he hugged Nichole from behind.

            “It’s been good, and yours was…?

            “Perfect. I aced the Calculus test, thanks to the study party you had last night.”

            “Well, glad I could help.”

                        “Nichole we’ve been dating for about two years now and you still haven’t met my parents. I have been hiding you from them, not because I am ashamed or you or anything, but because I didn’t want them to not like. Now I would really like for you to meet them. Are you free around 6:00 tomorrow?”

                        “Yeah, I’m free, but you might need to give me something to remember what time I am supposed to be at your house.”

                        “Okay maybe you’ll remember this.”

                        David kisses her on the cheek 6 six times, and walks her to class. The next day Nichole was excited to meet David’s parents. When she was getting ready she had to carefully pick her outfit. Not short that says slut, not to long that says ‘My mom still dresses me’, something refined, but beautiful that says I love your son. She found the perfect black dress. That stops right at the knees (perfect length).  At 6:05 she was at David’s house, when she ringed the doorbell David came to the door.

                        “Hey Nic-, wow. You look- wow!”

                        “I’ve never seen you so articulate.” Nichole answers as she kisses him and steps into his house. He then walks her into the living room where his parents’ faces drop to the floor as they see her.

                        “Mom, Dad, this is Nichole the girl I’ve been telling you about.”

                        “So… this is… Nichole. She is such a… lovely girl.” Ms. Shep phrased with the faked smile on her face, “David, come up help me set up the table?”

                        David walks into the dinning room with his mom, and in hush tones she began to voice the dismay of the girl her son had invited over for dinner.

                        “David, now you know better than to bring someone like her into this house. What possessed you to do that?”

                        “Mom, I honestly thought you would like her. I was tired to hiding her from you and Dad. Look I’ve been dating her for nearly two years now and I really really like her. I’ve been taking things very slow with her cause I don’t want to screw things up between us, and we haven’t even kissed on the lips yet. Not once. You and dad are going to have to instantly become more open- minded to the fact that I am dating a black girl and that I love her. We could honestly go all the way. I am thinking about asking her… to marry me.”

                        “David, you can’t be serious. Your father would never allow you to marry someone like her. She is not good enough for you David. You deserve way better than that.”