Chapter 1

She is the star of the night, many guys chasing after her. Even the ladies are surrounding her, save for her close friends that she was always with. She stand above everyone else inside the hall. Her hair that falls on her shoulders, her heart shaped face above a slender neck. A pair of dimples shows up whenever she smiles, and with captivating eyes that can make every guy’s heart skip a beat. Perfectly shaped body covered with a long red gown, with matching red high heels. She was the prettiest girl back in highschool, and she still hold that position up to now. But what’s with the signature signing? Is that how they missed her?

Why am I staring at her? Well, my stupid friends wasn’t able to come home for this event. They are the only reason why I am here tonight, and the last minute notice is surely a pain in the ass. Now I don’t have anyone to talk to, I am a lone wolf again. This will definitely going to be a boring night. But I think this is for the better, cosily sitting at the corner of this hall. I have the table for myself, With a glass of wine in my hand.

The music died down and there is a rasping sound, probably coming from the mic. Finally they’ve decided to start, which should have been started seventeen minutes ago. Talk about ‘Filipino Time’.

“My dear classmates, and batchmates, who are now can be called ladies and gents. It’s already been five long years, and I know how much you missed my voice.” says the emcee who was our school radio dj back in the days. He went on with his opening speech while everyone smiles and laughs at his jokes and funny recollections. Yup, we all missed him. And who wouldn’t? He made our everyday life less stressful.

I am so engrossed with the opening speech that I didn’t noticed that I’m not alone in my table anymore. And of all the people who would share the same table with me, why her? My plan was not to attract any attention, but now half of the attendees are looking at our direction. Do they think that I’m gay because of these four beautiful ladies with me, or they envy me? I hope it’s not the latter, and I’m not gay.

“Hi!” she said.

“Oh, hi!” I replied.

Good thing she moved a little closer to me, I can pretend that I’m looking at the speaker while talking to her.

“I knew you weren’t a snob like everyone says.” she said, smiling.

“And you’re still pretty, like always. Hey, I’m not a snob. Who said that?” I replied, startled.

“Don’t tell me you haven’t heard that? Well, you were called ‘geek’, ‘wiz’, ‘nerd’ and ‘campus snob’. The first two were decent enough for you, your grades can attest to that. For the third I disagree, you’re not like the other nerds who have their own world. But for the last, if you will always smile then people will not say you’re a snob anymore. So smile, just once. For me, please?” she said, teasing.

“I do smile, sometimes. And when no one’s looking.” I replied, smiling sheepishly.

“So how are you? I heard you’re working in a telephone company, a programmer like what you wanted when we were in highschool.” She asked, staring at me.

“I’m great, I guess. Thanks for asking though. I’m now working in a publishing company, with the same job description. And how did you know I want to be a programmer? How about you? Did you became a model like what you wanted when we were in highschool?” I answered, looking down on the wine glass in my hand.

“Wait a minute, you still don’t watch local tv shows right? And you’re working abroad so I guess it just make sense. Well, it figures. I’m good, I’m good, thanks. A little bored though, good thing I found you skulking here. I did not become a model, but a little something else. You should watch local tv shows while you’re here, try the lunch time show.” she said, grinning.