The Words Hanging On

Leila's P.O.V.

"You're coming over tomorrow, right?

To work on our project," I asked Anna.

We had to work on a stupid project for ELA, all about social issues. Anna had suggested we choose suicide, which I was skeptical of at first. But Anna had insisted that if we chose suicide, we might be able to save lives. I had always been a sucker for helping people, and Matthew and Anna had used that card against me more times than I could count. Tutoring half of the wrestling team that Anna was afraid to do by herself, the time Matthew wanted to join the football team but didn't necessarily known everything about the sport; they had gotten me to do countless (not to mention ridiculous) things for them, because of my little flaw.

"Yeah, I'll come over a little after school. I'll text you when I'm on my way," Anna replied, not seeming like her usual self.

"You okay? You don't sound too well," I told her, hoping nothing bad had happened. Anna never seemed to be having any problems, so hearing anything less than happy from her always scared me a little. I've always had the feeling she had something going on, but never talked with me or Matthew about it. I mean, no one can be happy and okay all of the time.

"Yeah, just a little worn out from all of this homework, you know how it is. I didn't get much sleep last night either. Just a bit tired I guess," Anna said, adding a breathy laugh.

"Good. Well, I'll see you tomorrow morning," I said.

"Ok. See ya, chica," Anna said in her usual happy tone. I hung up the phone and threw it across the bed, sighing. Mom was going to be home late, AGAIN. Her boss has been keeping her at work late, and to make it worse, she's been coming home with bruises on her arms. She always says she just tripped or bumped into something, but I wasn't stupid enough to believe that.

I glanced over at the clock; 6:00 P.M. SHOOT! I needed make dinner for Evan and Brinley!

"Brinley, Evan, What do you want for dinner?" I yelled across the house. I heard two pairs of patting feet coming my way.

"MACKY N CHEESE!" Brinley exclaimed. She was only 3, and she still was the best at her speaking.

"Yeah, I guess macaroni is okay," Evan said, "Is mom gonna be home late again?" The look in his eyes told me that he knew the answer, but he wanted to stay strong for Brinley.

"Yeah, she has some paperwork to finish," I told him, "I'll get started on dinner."